Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #1

Share |

Making a 2nd doorway

Hello all
I am remodeling the house and have put in a doorway for a 2nd doorway. Well, the joists go different than in the kitchen...they run to the doorway. I found this odd because there is already a 48" doorway on one side of the room.

So, I have read the posts on putting in a header and to buy a ready made header rather than building one. I'm fine with that. I just need to know if I really need to considering there are only 2 2X4s coming out. I was thinking about just using the 2x4s to box in the area above the doorway.

I'm not new to remodeling, but new to putting in a doorway. All help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Making a 2nd doorway-019.jpg   Making a 2nd doorway-020.jpg  
yergtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #2

Making a 2nd doorway

If it's a load bearing wall you need a properly sized header, not 2x4's. I've never heard of a "premade" header you can buy. Taking 2, 2x12's and 1/2" ply in the middle, nailed with 16D commom nails seems pretty easy to do.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #3

Making a 2nd doorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
If it's a load bearing wall you need a properly sized header, not 2x4's. I've never heard of a "premade" header you can buy. Taking 2, 2x12's and 1/2" ply in the middle, nailed with 16D commom nails seems pretty easy to do.
So, do I toenail it in to the remaining 2x4s then?

Guess I'll have to open the rest of the area up..UGGHH
yergtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #4

Making a 2nd doorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by yergtm View Post
So, do I toenail it in to the remaining 2x4s then?

Guess I'll have to open the rest of the area up..UGGHH
No, you certainly do not just toenail it to the 2x4's. Making an opening in a load bearing wall entails displacing the load all the way down to the foundation or the load bearing beams under the wall.
The header rests on jack studs(the number vary with the width of the opening.
There are king studs that go on the ends of the header from top plate to bottom plate and next to the jack studs. There is blocking under the floor to carry the jack stud load to the main beam under this wall.
You need to use the correct size and type of nail in the correct nailing pattern to hold it all together.
Check out a few videos on You Tube on putting an opening in a loadbearing wall. Some of the videos will not be too good. After you look at a few, you'll wonder why one guy did it that way. Ask questions before building your opening.

Last edited by Ron6519; 08-09-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #5

Making a 2nd doorway

One other important point Matt is to build temporary walls before you cut out those studs. Even though your opening isn't that big, you still want to support any weight that could be suspended over those studs. You can remove the temp walls once you complete the opening.

Mark.
Handyman Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

Making a 2nd doorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by yergtm View Post
Hello all
I am remodeling the house and have put in a doorway for a 2nd doorway. Well, the joists go different than in the kitchen...they run to the doorway. I found this odd because there is already a 48" doorway on one side of the room.

So, I have read the posts on putting in a header and to buy a ready made header rather than building one. I'm fine with that. I just need to know if I really need to considering there are only 2 2X4s coming out. I was thinking about just using the 2x4s to box in the area above the doorway.

Matt
Since you've read about putting headers in load bearing walls, why would you think that you don't need to put one in only because your'e only taking out 2-2x4"s? Can you explain why you don't think you need to put a header in a load bearing when you know it is. Forget telling me it's only 2-2x4's. Are you getting permits for this also?

Tags
2nd doorway, doorway, load bearing, new doorway