Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #1

Share |

Make waterproof barrier between plywood wall and concrete foundation.

I am in a flood zone and have a section of wood frame construction resting on a poured concrete slab. The outer edge of the studs and slab form a plane, i.e. the studs come up to the edge of the slab. Plywood is attached to the studs (to form the wall) and goes about 3 or 4 inches down over the side of the slab where it is tapconned to the slab. If we had a flood, water could work its way up between the plywood and concrete. I want to put something at the joint between the plywood and concrete to keep the water from coming in. What is the best solution for this - liquid nail? another small bit of concrete over the joint? ??? Is this a hopeless situation? I live in a hurricane zone and I'm talking about withstanding storm surge.

gbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Make waterproof barrier between plywood wall and concrete foundation.

Unfortunately, you did not post where you are hiding, so you can get is some general opinions.

If you are in hurricane country, you can expect to get substantial water inside unless it is minimal and for a very short term. Wood is organic and it will absorb moisture, swell, move and make it difficult for a "caulk/glue" last any period or amount of surge.

Most people recognize the power of Mother Nature and use the areas for materials and activities that can be moved or disposed of.

Often homes near coasts/rivers are built to provide lower level spaces on grade for parking, washer/drier and rec rooms that can be abandoned or items moved out temporarily. HVAC and furnaces are usually is attics because of flood damage to the controls. This concept works up to about 4' of water and concrete block "blow-out" panels are usually used for greater surges since they usually can take 8' of surge.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote