Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #1

Share |

Make mudroom on covered deck

Hi everyone!
I have been thinking a long time about making a mudroom out of part of my front covered deck. (picture below) We don't use the porch much for sitting. My front door enters right into my livingroom and is right in front of the stairs that lead to the upper level making it a tight space especially since its where everyone leaves there shoes. I'd like to make it an insulated room that is open to the house. But I need some tips before I even think about proceding with the project.

My idea is to completely enclose the portion between the two windows in front. The front door would be put on the left side. A large window in the front to bring in some more light to our dark livingroom. The right side of the porch that would be blocked off, would then be screened in and I would install a french door in the place of the window on that side to create access to it. That would make it a private porch coming off the master suite.

I am figuring I would need to add more support posts under the enclosed portion. We were going to replace most of the posts anyway since a few are rotting from sitting in the dirt.
So far, does it sound doable? A couple questions I have are, should I build some sort of foundation wall underneath it or could it be left open with just more support posts? The deck boards should be removed underneath the enclosure and replaced with regular floor boards right? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The house is in north GA.

Make mudroom on covered deck-r6343.jpg

Last edited by kmsweb; 10-27-2009 at 12:09 PM.
kmsweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Residential Remodeler

Tough to tell without getting a better look at the structure to see if you need more support. Obviously, if you have rotten posts, they need to be replaced. And the weight of a covered deck (like you have now) is certainly less than finished space, so you may have an issue with building over the existing without adding a foundation.

Man, what a crazy roof pitch you have

CookeCarpentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. Well I know it will need more support, I believe it is only anchored to the wall and the posts in front are all there is otherwise. I wasn't sure if more support posts underneath would suffice or if I would need to do an actual wall.
kmsweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #4

Yes, you will need a concrete footing and foundation wall. Your local building department would have the guidelines you need. Also, with a permit, the work will be registered on your County house records so you can count it as living space when you sell. (And not have to tear it down or bring it up to current code at sale time).
Be safe, Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote