Main Beam - Slight Separation - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Main beam - slight separation

I have a ballon framed single story house on a cinder block foundation, built 1929. It is small, the joist run on top the main beam, run completely full width, none of those are split, or damaged.
The main beam is 3 sistered 2 by 10's, (real deminsions, not planed down) no collars or hangers keeping them together. (Nails,glue, but nothing externally visable) I have three jacks supporting the main beam. It's not sagging or splitting. BUT the one on the left of center had a flaw in the wood, a large knot( or turn in the wood that the original glue and nails held down) that pulled away slighting from the other two, only at one end. I can't even fit fit a bottle cap at the widest part, a quarter, maybe. The separation runs about 4-5 feet, starting at the front of the house, but not as far as the first jack. They do not have any water damage, or are rotting, or bent from over load.

Would it be okay to screw the one beam back together to the other two? Are there collar ties that would be benficial to add to theses?

Thanks

Advertisement

rosco4069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,524

Main beam - slight separation

A knot is not a flaw in the wood, it is wood.

To have a crack in a 81 year old framing member is not uncommon.

If as you describe is true, I’d run a few screws in it or maybe a lag or two and be done with it. But that’s just me.

Advertisement