Main Beam Cut In Half - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

main beam cut in half

i have a 100 year old house, i just noticed that my main beam is cut in half. when forced air was put in, they cut the main beam and there is a 2 to 3 foot space for the cimney to go up. on one side there are 2 steel posts with in 6 feet, and on the other they used 2x4 walls for the re-mainder of a 12 foot span. does this sound like trouble.

Advertisement

michaelmatchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:42 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

main beam cut in half

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmatchee View Post
i have a 100 year old house, i just noticed that my main beam is cut in half. when forced air was put in, they cut the main beam and there is a 2 to 3 foot space for the cimney to go up. on one side there are 2 steel posts with in 6 feet, and on the other they used 2x4 walls for the re-mainder of a 12 foot span. does this sound like trouble.
It could be trouble by the sounds of it, but it is one of those things that someone would still need to see to confirm and advise a course or method of repair.....

Pics would help...

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
Chief Fungus Fighter

Rewards Points: 25

main beam cut in half

I'd get a structural engineer in ASAP. Make sure you inform the HVAC company who did the work you are doing this. Cutting a main beam in half is just flat out DUMB!
MoldBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:59 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

main beam cut in half

I would still suggest getting someone to look at it onsite and confirm that it is the main beam and that it is structural....Older houses can fool you, especially if they have been altered or remodeled.

(Example: I have seen some old homes that have had issues with their structural beams. So new structural supports were added, rendering the old beam: as a peice of wood that no longer was supporting anything.)

The other bigger reason is that, once a professional opinion is given, if need be, temporary supports can then be installed.
After that is done the Home Owner should find out what company installed the HVAC work, even if it was installed prior to their ownership of the home.
I know cases where similar circumstances led to the original company being court ordered to pay for all costs of the repairs, even tho the work had been done 7 years earlier - at a time when someone else owned the property.... (I met one of the company owners -he wasn't happy)
....."believe it or not"...
Old 02-22-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

main beam cut in half

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmatchee View Post

"Main Beam cut in half"

That's all that has to be said to an Architect or Engineer, WHEN you call them!

Next is to talk to the HVAC MORON and let him know that he wont be getting paid and you will contact his insurance company.