Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #1

Share |

Lowes Katrina Cottages?

Has anyone seen these? If not anyone who is considering building a new home should check them out:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...naCottage.html

Basically these are "kit" homes created as an alternative to the FEMA trailers that so many called home after Katrina, but they're starting to catch on around the country as people begin to turn to small homes once again. They estimate the homes costing anywhere from $45 to $55 per square foot to construct, not counting HVAC mechanicals, labor, or the foundation. Pretty cool if you ask me. I'm not sure though if they offer the plans in kit form outside of hurricane damaged areas. I think that everyone else simply has to follow the materials list. I'm going to get more information because I'm curious to know whether or not these homes can be built as cheaply as they claim.

Badfish740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:50 PM   #2
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Lowes Katrina Cottages?

Who is building these cottages?

Subs that work for Lowes?

You would be better off doing the work yourself.

Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:31 AM   #3

Lowes Katrina Cottages?

You build them either yourself or get a contractor on your own. Lowes furnishes the plans and, in hurricane damaged areas anyway, the materials. It's almost a throwback to the Sears catalog homes. Just an interesting idea I thought I'd throw out there.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
(the original)

Lowes Katrina Cottages?

There is no "kit", as such. Lowe's sells the blueprints and materials, and will pull and deliver the materials as needed. I don't know if they charge extra for multiple deliveries. BTW, they aren't giving anything away.....

As far as cost, IF you can do almost all the work yourself, you can probably come in somewhere near that quote.
They're nice little houses if built right. The design is a very generic implication of the architectural style of all the 150-200 yr old historic homes that were leveled here by Katrina.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:48 PM   #5

Lowes Katrina Cottages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishin' View Post
There is no "kit", as such. Lowe's sells the blueprints and materials, and will pull and deliver the materials as needed. I don't know if they charge extra for multiple deliveries. BTW, they aren't giving anything away...
I know the plans are $700 a pop, but do you pay a flat fee for all the materials up front? Or do you pay as materials are delivered?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
(the original)

Lowes Katrina Cottages?

I'm really not sure about that, Badfish. I would think since it's not precuts and panelized that there wouldn't be any problem with "pay as you go". I know they offer to rebate the $700 for the prints in the form of a gift card, but I expect you have to pay up front to get that. There may be other perks, too. I'd ask at the contractors desk, if I were you. They're usually more knowledgable than anyone else in the store.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:15 PM   #7

Lowes Katrina Cottages?

Had a long conversation (at ratherbefishin's suggestion) with Joe at the Commercial Sales desk and learned an awful lot. Here's what I found out:

The 1200 square foot model materials package retails from $27,000-30,000. That's EVERYTHING needed to construct the home, delivered to the jobsite in stages. When I say everything I mean raw lumber, fasteners, plumbing, wiring, house wrap, windows, doors, and the list goes on... Basically it takes all guesswork out of material cost estimates. It's all right there, the only variable is mistakes (measure twice!), so that's a huge hurdle overcome from a GC standpoint.

As I said before, all HVAC from the units to all associated wiring/plumbing/ductwork must be sourced by the homeowner, so that's an added expense, but not too steep. With 2x6 walls, R-30 insulation, and good windows and doors, not to mention the small size, the mechanicals shouldn't be astronomically expensive. Of course the foundation must come from the homeowner as well, but I've already gotten some off the cuff estimates of $8,000-10,000 for excavation, full height poured concrete, drainage, sealing, etc...

So let's say you option out the home with metal roofing, Hardiplank siding, etc...and you're looking at $30,000 of materials sitting atop a foundation totally done for $10,000. Now we're at $40,000. If my fiancee's father (Project Manager for a big design/build firm in North Jersey) and I handle the framing, sheathing, roofing, windows and doors, siding, etc...and sub out the electrical/plumbing/HVAC (meaning that the electricians and plumbers would merely be perfoming labor since the plans are done and all materials would be sitting there waiting for them), I would say that I'd then be at $60,000. Throw in the cost of the lot, permits, fees, surveys, utility hookups, etc...and be all said and done for $180,000? The trick of course is the fact that the home is brand new and worth WAY more than that. I'll be sitting down with my future father in law this weekend to lay this out some more, but I promise if I go through with this process I'll document the whole thing! Maybe a "Katrina Cottage" blog?