Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

lowering a ten foot ceiling just two feet from edge all around the room to eight feet

I want to drop the ten foot ceiling to eight feet that is only on the edge. Keep in mind I want to keep the center of the room 10 feet?

talljohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,054

lowering a ten foot ceiling just two feet from edge all around the room to eight feet

so you want to build a soffit., simple enough, easiest way to do this is with light gauge 1 5/8" steel stud. it will be much straighter than trying to use 2x2's which will warp like crazy.. this is proably the only time i like framing with steel stud... all you need to do is create a level line on the wall at 8' and carry it all the way around the room. same for how far off the wall it comes.. mark this line on the ceiling.. from there you jus tneed to build ladder frames and connect them to the ceiling and then drywall it

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by talljohnc View Post
I want to drop the ten foot ceiling to eight feet that is only on the edge. Keep in mind I want to keep the center of the room 10 feet?
So what's your question?

With what you gave us it's basically going to be impossible to give you any device. To start with pictures would help and then a description of what is above this room, room size, etc.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote