Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #1

Share |

lowering backyard level & window to crawl space

Hi

I have a very small yard (maybe 200 sqft... in Brooklyn, NY this is great)
it is flanked from three sides: neighbors backyards on two sides and on other neighbor's backyard in front. I have a three story house with a crawl space of about 5'... I have many issues with the perimeter wall to the backyard - it was not properly waterproofed (the house is 100yrs) and it has water sipping from it when it rains and it is crumbling so the floor next to that wall is slanting real bad. I was thinking about lowering the level of my backyard to allow for a small window in the crawl space and to fix that wall at the same time. (no windows now - it is underground)

1. Anyone has any idea if I will need a permit for lowering the backyard level only? (I know I need one if i want to add a window)
2. If I break the concrete slap in my backyard and just start digging, right against that outside wall to my backyard, could I collapse my entire house??? I am serious.

greenpointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #2

Post some photos of the issues.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpointer View Post

1. Anyone has any idea if I will need a permit for lowering the backyard level only? (I know I need one if i want to add a window)

2. If I break the concrete slap in my backyard and just start digging, right against that outside wall to my backyard, could I collapse my entire house??? I am serious.

1) Call and ask.

2) You mean like a patio? That shouldn't bother the house. What you should find is that the exterior wall of the crawlspace goes under ground for a few feet, and rests on a footer. That's a wide piece of concrete, probably twice as wide as the wall.

Don't make your backyard lower than everyone around you though, or you'll end up with a neighborhood retaining pond!
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote