Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
LDO

Rewards Points: 10

Low Profile Deck

I would like to build a 12x12 low profile deck. My plan is to use doubled 2x8s for the beams. Is there a calculator that tells me how many I'll need and how many footings i'll need? My plan was to place the beams directly onto the footings using 3 inch support hardware. Would a 1.5 foot overhang on all four corners be ok?
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Decking will be 2x6s

Thanks.

LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #2

Low Profile Deck

First off I'd suggest one of the best places to get help with structural member sizing is your local lumber yard. Most large suppliers have staff that are trained in sizing basic members.

Secondly, I remind folks that a standard deck is really no different than framing a house. If you understand how to frame a house floor then you can use the same sizing for the deck.

The big question here is how are you going to frame the deck? Are you implying that the beam sits on your footings and the joists frame into the beam so that the joists and beams are at the same elevation?

If so I'd use a double 2x8 beam sitting on 3 footings (footings spaced at 1', 6' and 11'). Then you can use joist hangers to hang 2x8 joists from the beam. With a 12' span you'll need to space the 2x8's at 12" O.C. Even at 12" O.C. I think the deck may be quite flexible.

If it were my deck I'd use 2x10's.

HCI Blogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Low Profile Deck

I would steer away from double anything in a deck situation. All that does is allow water to get in a place to sit and rot.

Go with one board and use a bigger board like a 2x10 PT.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
LDO

Low Profile Deck

HCI,
yes, the beams and joists would be at the same elevation. So you think that I should use 2x10s instead of 2x8s?

If so, and if I read your comment on the footings correctly, I would need 9 footings all together correct?

This is my first project like this so let me apologize now for stupid questions.
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:00 AM   #5
Custom Deck Builder

Rewards Points: 75

Low Profile Deck

Ground level deck, yes? You're trying to keep it low enough to be a single step down to the ground, yes?

12x12 deck, ground level:

4 footings total - outer beam supported at 2' and 10' , house side beam supported at 2' and 10' - total of 8' span for beams.
If you want to overbuild (nothing wrong w/ that), use 3 footings per beam - 1', 6', 11'
Doubled 2x8 beams are fine, wrap the tops w/ 4" wide flashing tape to prevent rot from occurring at seam.

2x8 Joists, be they Hem-fir or SYP, spaced 16" o.c. hung from beam w/ Simpson LUS 28Z hangers will span 12' with no problem.
One calculator available to you is this:
http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/...rcalcstyle.asp

Take any advice you get online w/ a grain of salt...anonymity breeds overconfidence in the ability to dispense advice.

Mac
Built By MAC
BuiltByMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #6

Cool

Low Profile Deck

Schaumburg il, Says I cant use Bugle screws in the framing.
So what am I suppose to use. I ahve wasted alot of money in special green deck screws from lowes and then the inspector says I cant use bugle screws. Are nails my only optio?

I am at a halt in my project. Until this is fixed. But how do I fix this problem?

Iceman 1972
iceman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:28 PM   #7

Low Profile Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman1972 View Post
Schaumburg il, Says I cant use Bugle screws in the framing.
So what am I suppose to use. I ahve wasted alot of money in special green deck screws from lowes and then the inspector says I cant use bugle screws. Are nails my only optio?

I am at a halt in my project. Until this is fixed. But how do I fix this problem?

Iceman 1972
Ask the inspector what is allowed.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #8

Low Profile Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
Ask the inspector what is allowed.
I DID AND HE IS A ******* AND DOESNT TELL ME ANYTHING. SAYS I CANT BUILT YOUR DECK FOR YOU.
IM ON MY OWN. THANK GOD FOR GOOGLE.i FOUND OUT NO FRAMING JOBS SHOULD EVER BE DONE WITH SCREWS. I WISH I NEW THAT ABOUT 150.00 AGO.
WHAT A WASTE
ALWAYS BUILD DECK FRAMES WITH NAILS.
I LEARNED THE HARD!!1
Old 10-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #9

Low Profile Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltByMAC View Post
Ground level deck, yes? You're trying to keep it low enough to be a single step down to the ground, yes?

12x12 deck, ground level:

4 footings total - outer beam supported at 2' and 10' , house side beam supported at 2' and 10' - total of 8' span for beams.
If you want to overbuild (nothing wrong w/ that), use 3 footings per beam - 1', 6', 11'
Doubled 2x8 beams are fine, wrap the tops w/ 4" wide flashing tape to prevent rot from occurring at seam.

2x8 Joists, be they Hem-fir or SYP, spaced 16" o.c. hung from beam w/ Simpson LUS 28Z hangers will span 12' with no problem.
One calculator available to you is this:
http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/...rcalcstyle.asp

Take any advice you get online w/ a grain of salt...anonymity breeds overconfidence in the ability to dispense advice.

Mac
Built By MAC
I just built a 20 x 20 ground level deck and used pre cast stones that i got from lowes.
i used 2 6 x 16's for joists. and regular decking on top. Its really fast and easy.
I also found I could use 4x4 post cut to size to level things. Its under code
Old 10-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #10
Structural Engineer

Rewards Points: 75

Low Profile Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman1972 View Post
I DID AND HE IS A ******* AND DOESNT TELL ME ANYTHING. SAYS I CANT BUILT YOUR DECK FOR YOU.
IM ON MY OWN. THANK GOD FOR GOOGLE.i FOUND OUT NO FRAMING JOBS SHOULD EVER BE DONE WITH SCREWS. I WISH I NEW THAT ABOUT 150.00 AGO.
WHAT A WASTE
ALWAYS BUILD DECK FRAMES WITH NAILS.
I LEARNED THE HARD!!1
This is false. You can frame with screws. You just need to make sure you're using the right size and material type. Also make sure you can provide manufactures info for the screw you're using. All manufactures publish info on shear, tension and pull-out capacities for their fasteners.
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:46 PM   #11
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Low Profile Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
This is false. You can frame with screws. You just need to make sure you're using the right size and material type. Also make sure you can provide manufactures info for the screw you're using. All manufactures publish info on shear, tension and pull-out capacities for their fasteners.
I agree! BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #12

Low Profile Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Exactly.

Screws are less likely to pull out of the wood. When I have to rip out a deck with screws I cringe. With nails I just get the "big" hammer.