Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #1

Share |

Loose fill asbestos insulation, Vermiculite

I did some electrical work in the guest bathroom of my MIL's house this weekend which required several trips to the attic and lots of sifting through the loose fill insulation to locate/remove/install wires. I know the home was built between 1965 and 1973 because it is wired with aluminum wiring manufactured by Kaiser (which was the main reason for the attic trips, rewired the whole room with copper using the Alumiconn connectors). Anyway, the insulation was dark gray/blue in color and seemed like the typical blow-in fiberglass insulation. But I wanted to make sure it didn't contain asbestos so I did some research on the EPA website. It says that homes built between 1930 and 1950 may contain asbestos insulation (no problem there). It also says that Vermiculite insulation contains asbestos which was manufactured from 1919 to 1990. It showed a picture of the stuff installed between attic trusses and it basically looks like kitty litter in different shades of brown.

What I'd like to know is: Is this the only form the Vermiculite comes in or was it used in a variety of insulation types?

I guess it doesn't matter now, since the work in the attic is finished but I'd like to have some peace of mind knowing that I wasn't playing around in asbestos insulation all day.

GeauxCajuns82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Anyway, the insulation was dark gray/blue in color and seemed like the typical blow-in fiberglass insulation.
Ayuh,... That sounds like Rockwool,... No problems there...

Vermiculite, from only 1 Mine, May contain asbestos,...
Most, Don't....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Unfortunately the one mine that did produce asbestos contaminated vermiculite was the Libby, Montana mine, which produced a significant fraction of the total vermiculite mined and sold in the U.S. The only way to know if the specific product in the attic had asbestos would be to have it tested.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote