Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
DIYer

Share |

Looking to utilize attic space - questions

I'm looking to maximize space and would like to utilize the vertical space in our home's addition attic.

I went up there with a light for the first time (we bought the home recently) and was astonished with how TERRIBLE the framing is. Its ugly but its what I have to work with.

They used joist hangers on the rafters (wtf) that are rather ill fitting. Should anything be done about this??

The ugliness aside, I'm wondering why there are scattered supports and not just plain rafter-joist arrangement since its a simple gable roof in California (where snow is not a possibility). I'd like to make the attic space as open as possible, can I remove these weird supports?

Second, there's a space I want to utilize but it would require removing joists. Picture is here:

Can these joists be removed and a suitable beam arrangement be put in place?

Appreciate any guidance
dwoloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #2

Post a pic of the roof from the outside
And inside further back - wide view if possible
That will help people with input
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

No, you do not want to remove what you are calling "joists". They are NOT joists. They are Rafter Ties, and they are there to keep your walls from bowing outward. Snow load is not the only thing that will shove your walls outward and flatten your home.

Leave every one of them in place.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
DIYer

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in terminology

I understand their purpose but would like to know what kind of additional supports would be needed to remove them in the approximately 8ft by 5ft space pictured so there can be uninterrupted vertical space.

Here is an aerial view of the roof; red square is the roof portion I'm talking about
Old 08-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #5

What are you trying to do, add living space in the attic or vault the ceiling for the lower level? I'm no engineer but it doesn't look like any modifications to that would be a good idea. If you really want to add a second floor addition, I would at least get a professional opinion and probably hire that out. The good news is that it is generally less expensive to build up as opposed to out even if you have to hire it out.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
DIYer

You're probably right about the pros. I'll get some people to throw me some bids