Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #1

Share |

Looking for Recommendations RE: Sliding Patio Door

I need to replace a really old sliding glass door and I'm looking for some recommendations. Given the tight space in the kitchen I need to go with another slider and not a patio door. I am planning on staying in this house for some time so I don't want to go with a low-end product...having said that, I would prefer not to go over $1,000 either.

I have been considering a vinyl Pella from Lowes that has the self-contained blinds. I don't know the model number but this particular door with the screen runs about $800. I really like the internal blinds feature due to the tight area in the kitchen and four little kids. However, I am a little skeptical of Pella's quality. Anyone have any experience with that particular product or one that they would recommend instead?

Thanks in advance.

Greg~

Last edited by Greg D; 09-09-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: clarification
Greg D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #2

Anderson has a lower cost line - I bought a 6' slider for about $1000 and installed it in our master bedroom - replaced a window. Very good quality, smooth operating, etc.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:26 AM   #3
JOATMON

Why not a French door?

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #4

There's simply not enough space for a swing-in door(s). Eventually, when we can fit a kitchen remodel into the budget then that might be a possibility. However, the current slider is barely operational and needs to be replaced now.

Thanks.

Greg~
Greg D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #5

I also recommend Andersen. I've been comparing windows. Pella seem less durable than Andersen. All the window comparisons lead me to look at patio doors. I can definitely see the quality in Andersen compared to other brands.
DoItMyselfToo is offline   Reply With Quote