Looking For Recommendations - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Looking for recommendations

Long story short I need to lag bolt a new joist in by a stairway where an old joist cracked and failed. It is one of the joists that is doubled up that ties and also acts as a hanger plate for the stair stringers. Floor is supported with a temporary assembly at the moment and is no issue. I plan to reattach new joist using 6 (3 on each side) 1/4" lag bolts about 4 1/2" long on the ends and several 3" wood screws on the face tieing to the face of the other joist. I am also using wood glue one the ends and faces when joining. The problem I'm having is on the one side there is another joist about 3" from the doubled one I need to put the 4 1/2" lag bolts into. The only way I can get the bolts in there is to drill holes in that joist and pass the bolts through it. The head of the bolts is about 1/2". Thus if I'm installing 3 bolts this is three holes on top of each other in a dimensionally 1 1/2" by 9" joist. I am not so sure this is a good idea.

I thought about just filling the holes with 1/2" dowel rod and glue after I drilled the holes but I wasn't so sure that would work. I also thought about putting a 2' scab over that section using a ripped 2x10 and lag screwing and glueing but that is alot work (wiring needs moved etc. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisement

kossuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 256

Looking for recommendations

Can you put the bolts in from the other side? I'm guessing no because that's too easy.
Give us a pic, no way to help you without one.

Advertisement

michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote