Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Saint Charles County, Missouri
Posts: 31
Share |
Question

Looking at pocket doors...


All,

I am finishing a 1900 square foot basement that requires the installation of two pocket doors. Is anyone familiar with a door company called Johnson? Do they make a quality product? Specifically, I am looking at the Johnson 1500 Series pocket door.

Thanks,

HT4ME

HT4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Old School
 
Willie T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Posts: 3,634
Default

Looking at pocket doors...


A good outfit....... Love their hardware.

__________________
"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Willie T
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (05-06-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 7,069
Default

Looking at pocket doors...


I have two of them. I'm not finished with all the framing yet...but I see NO issues with their hardware. Just make sure you follow the instructions.

Very important point....make sure you get the opening square.
__________________
"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Saint Charles County, Missouri
Posts: 31
Default

Looking at pocket doors...


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I have two of them. I'm not finished with all the framing yet...but I see NO issues with their hardware. Just make sure you follow the instructions.

Very important point....make sure you get the opening square.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
A good outfit....... Love their hardware.
ddawg and Willie T,

It sounds like a picked a good door to work with. Thanks for your feedback.

~HT4ME
HT4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:54 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 2,040
Default

Looking at pocket doors...


The only thing I have found with any pocket door hardware is the 'studs' can be flimsy. To beef them up I put 1/2" plywood on that wall in the door area and strips to fur out the rest of the studs.

And make sure you use screws for the plywood and/or drywall that will not poke through the 'studs' and scratch your door.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:18 AM   #6
Thread killer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southwestern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 288
Default

Looking at pocket doors...


Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
And make sure you use screws for the plywood and/or drywall that will not poke through the 'studs' and scratch your door.
Ugh. I found that out the hard way on the first one I installed.
Note to self: stop pulling on a pocket door when you encounter a curious amount of resistance
__________________
You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two.
Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 2,885
Default

Looking at pocket doors...


Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
The only thing I have found with any pocket door hardware is the 'studs' can be flimsy. To beef them up I put 1/2" plywood on that wall in the door area and strips to fur out the rest of the studs.

And make sure you use screws for the plywood and/or drywall that will not poke through the 'studs' and scratch your door.
Johnson is indeed a good product. But I couldn't find that brand when building our house, so used whatever the kit is that's sold at Home Depot. By design, ever interior door we have (seven of them) is a pocket door. The "studs" in my kits were wrapped on one side with sheet metal so screwing through one and scratching the door wasn't an issue.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Looking at pocket doors...


You might look at designer class interior barn doors. Hardware is external so you can get to it. You can get all sorts of doors from frosted glass to panel doors. Hardware can be conspicuous and rather cool or understated.

Nothing against internal pocket doors until something wacks the tracks or something and you have to tear everything part to fix the situation. Maybe not such an issue with higher end doors.






Last edited by user1007; 05-06-2013 at 07:37 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Saint Charles County, Missouri
Posts: 31
Default

Looking at pocket doors...


Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Johnson is indeed a good product. But I couldn't find that brand when building our house, so used whatever the kit is that's sold at Home Depot. By design, ever interior door we have (seven of them) is a pocket door. The "studs" in my kits were wrapped on one side with sheet metal so screwing through one and scratching the door wasn't an issue.

md2lgyk,

Below is the link for the Johnson 1500. I found them on the Home Depot website.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Johnson-H...2#.UYeuT7WG3eg

HT4ME
HT4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Looking at pocket doors...


Plastic rollers scare me!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Saint Charles County, Missouri
Posts: 31
Default

Looking at pocket doors...


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
You might look at designer class interior barn doors. Hardware is external so you can get to it. You can get all sorts of doors from frosted glass to panel doors. Hardware can be conspicuous and rather cool or understated.

Nothing against internal pocket doors until something wacks the tracks or something and you have to tear everything part to fix the situation. Maybe not such an issue with higher end doors.





sdsester,

These doors look fantastic. I will keep them in mind. I would not be using pocket doors except for the fact that the two areas (bar & HT control room) where the are to be installed are in tight spaces. I mocked up the pocket doors using a 3d software application. Based on my design, by painting the doors the same color as the wall paint and not installing trim around them, they should fade a bit into the background. I do not want them to be noticeable. Especially the door on the home theater wall. Hopefully, my approach will work.

~HT4ME
HT4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 7,069
Default

Looking at pocket doors...


Here is the link to the Johnson door on Amazon....$83

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
__________________
"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 2,885
Default

Looking at pocket doors...


Quote:
Originally Posted by HT4Me View Post
md2lgyk,

Below is the link for the Johnson 1500. I found them on the Home Depot website.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Johnson-H...2#.UYeuT7WG3eg

HT4ME
Thanks for the link. That is not the kit my Home Depot carries. Maybe it's a special order.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
Roofmaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,530
Default

Looking at pocket doors...


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I have two of them. I'm not finished with all the framing yet...but I see NO issues with their hardware. Just make sure you follow the instructions.

Very important point....make sure you get the opening square.
Dawg is right on. Level is VERY important, unless you want them to be self- closing or self-opening, as the case may be.
__________________
" A lot of men build things, and a lot of things fall down "

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Saint Charles County, Missouri
Posts: 31
Default

Looking at pocket doors...


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Here is the link to the Johnson door on Amazon....$83

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the link DAWG. I was going to buy this at Home Depot for $106.70. If I could just let you go through the rest of my ten page material list...

~HT4ME

HT4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adjust pocket doors Italgrl Carpentry 13 01-15-2013 09:13 PM
pocket flipper kit for room doors? anuvanoob Carpentry 7 10-23-2012 09:31 AM
space saving with pocket doors deana Remodeling 13 03-16-2012 12:23 PM
pocket hole joinery for cabinet doors? Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD Carpentry 4 03-09-2009 05:26 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.