Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2011, 04:17 AM   #1

Share |

looking for a 'not-so-messy-fix'

We just did a complete (and expensive) remodel on the master bath, as well as a kitchen remodel. We have new flooring throughout the house and fresh paint on all the walls. So....I want to 'help' the full bath in the hallway. However, we have broken the bank already AND I do not want something that is going to mess up the entire house. So here is my thought:

We have a tub that definitely needs to be re-glazed, and the walls around the tub are the usual 4" cermic tiles. The tiles are not in great shape now and the grout lines look awful. I want to know if, since the present tile should already have the necessary moisture barrier behind it to 'seal' the water out of the walls, etc...can I just put up hardy board over the tiled area according to directions (attaching to studs THRU the cermic tile) and caulking corners and area near tub rim...THEN after taping seams with fiberglass tape and doing the skim coating, can I put up a 12x12 ceramic tile? I HAVE done 12x12 ceramic tile on a vertical surface before, as I covered our huge but out-dated brick fireplace years ago and it still looks perfect....so I am not completely ignorant on that part of the plan.

I realize that I will be actually bringing the wall 'in' the 1/2" depth of the hardy board and the depth of the tile. I don't see that as a problem, as I can choose an edge finish tile type that will work with the added thickness.

I DO NOT want to take the present tile down because, of course, that was done in the master bath and I'm familiar with just what that means (gutting and a LOT of dirt and debris). I've read online about putting ceramic tile OVER ceramic tile and what is necessary in preparation...however, I was thinking that the perfectly flat surface of the hardy board would provide a better substrate to attach the 12x12 tiles.

Yea or Nay folks??

Last edited by Rainnelor; 11-03-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Rainnelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:49 AM   #2
DIY staff

You will spend more time trying to make that work that spending the two hours removing the old tile and vacuuming up the dust.

For me--NAY.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #3

It's really not that easy to get to the studs when putting the hardy up. Seems like yes, it would be a cleaner install overall, but the drilling through the tiles part is probably going to be very time consuming.

I'd rip it all out. Every time I try to do something "half way", I end up spending more time and money than if I had done it right the first time.

I just did mine and cut down on a lot of the mess by having a shop vac and contractor bags right there during the demo. I tried the best I could to bag the tile right away and keep the dust down by using the vac often. It was a little slower demo, but it was pretty clean and left the remainder of the house pretty dust free.

Last edited by oldhouseguy; 11-03-2011 at 07:12 AM.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
DIY staff

When we demo a tub area we peal off one row of tiles all around---then draw a level and plumb cut line-

Make a shallow saw cut through the old backer and then pull the wall covering out --tile and all.

Punch a couple of hand holds with a hammer and just pull.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
When we demo a tub area we peal off one row of tiles all around---then draw a level and plumb cut line-

Make a shallow saw cut through the old backer and then pull the wall covering out --tile and all.

Punch a couple of hand holds with a hammer and just pull.
That sounds like a great way!

Do you pull the screws through the backer???
Old 11-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
DIY staff

Yep---most old tub surrounds are just green board----My helper will often have the wall sections out in the time it takes me to tarp off the hall way outside of the bathroom--

We pull out the biggest sections that we can carry.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Yep---most old tub surrounds are just green board----My helper will often have the wall sections out in the time it takes me to tarp off the hall way outside of the bathroom--

We pull out the biggest sections that we can carry.
I need to get me one of those helpers!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
DIY staff

The guy is worth his pay----Fine craftsman and very efficient.---
Old 11-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #9

I appreciate all answers, and especially was interested in Mike's info about pulling tile out in large portions by removing the backer ITSELF with tile attached. The man who did our other bath has worked in this business for a while, HOWEVER, he literally pulled tile down practically piece by piece until there was a bathtub full of broken tiles (and a ridiculous amount of dirt circulating to adjoining room)!

All advice will be put into operation!
Rainnelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
DIY staff

Glad to hear it!

Why make more work? I hate shoveling up tiles---and the tub can get scratched.

One handy item is a roll of carpet protector.

Looks like a 30" wide roll of scotch tape.

Use it to protect the carpet outside the room---then add some to the top edges of the tub --helps keep the tub from getting scratched during construction.

Tags
bathtub surround, ceramic tile, tile over tile