Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #1

Share |

Looking for Materials Joint Compound WON'T Stick to.

I just had work done to restore a dining room after major construction. The room is plaster on lathe and has a cove profile where wall meets ceiling with a little 1/4"step or 'lip' before the ceiling begins. To help visualize, the wall runs up toward the ceiling, then curves to create the cove profile, then there's a little 1/4" step before the ceiling begins...imagine that the entire ceiling plane is inset 1/4".

Unfortunately, that little 1/4" lip is now ragged: it varies in both and straightness, enough so that the room looks sloppy instead of having the crisp 1/4" stepped transition. I'm trying to restore the lip and trying to find a quick/dirty method. The guy working on it recommended fixing a piece of spare shoe molding up against the lip and filling in the gaps with joint compound, then removing the molding when the compound dries. Wont the compound stick to the wood molding? Any other ideas?

Lovegasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #2

It is easy to assume that, but it is more likely that the compound will shrink and pull away from the wood.

CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #3

Seems like plaster would give you a stronger, better edge. I saw an TOH episode where they were making plaster coves in a wood mold by building up layer after layer. I think they just lubed up the mold but I sure can't remember what they used.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #4

I' considered using plaster or hot mud. However, I do need something that can be sanded relatively easily as I'll need to touch it up and unify the entire edge after it dries.

I'm concerned about using a lube in the event I need to add either plaster or joint compound to touch it up, and also to paint it afterwards. I'm not sure what sort of lube would allow the plaster/compound to release while also allow me to continue working on it.

Any ideas?
Lovegasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #5

How about no form at all. Make a miniature version of a drywall corner knife that you could use (backward so that you form an outside corner rather than inside corner). If you put drywall compound on too thick it cracks when it dries so a form might not work well anyway.

Start with a normal small flat putty knife and build up thin layers letting it dry well between layers and alternating between the horizontal and vertical sides. When it's close use your mini corner tool for final coat. Might not need much sanding.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:22 PM   #6

Wrap your form board with cellophane stretch wrap.

hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote