Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #1

Share |

looking to level my house floors

hi everyone, I am interested in levelling my house. I will be hiring someone to do this, and I have a few questions if you guys don't mind.

My first question - Should I get a permit to do this ? I just got a quote from someone and it sounds like he plans not to get a permit. Is this a bad thing ?

Who should decide how much work gets done ? I have 2 quotes so far, and they are totally different. One is for 4400, and the other is 23000. How do you know how far to go ?

thanks in advance - tt

terryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:47 PM   #2

You need to read each proposal VERY carefully...see what the 23000 guy is doing that the other isn't. Any permits needed should be the responsibility of the builder that you ultimately hire.

jproffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryt View Post
My first question - Should I get a permit to do this ? I just got a quote from someone and it sounds like he plans not to get a permit. Is this a bad thing ?
Get a permit...not a bad thing. Permits protect you, the homeowner.
It allows a knowledgable person to check the work being performed on one of your most valuable assets, ensuring that it is done properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryt View Post
Who should decide how much work gets done ? I have 2 quotes so far, and they are totally different. One is for 4400, and the other is 23000. How do you know how far to go ?

thanks in advance - tt

Sounds like you should get a third quote based on the price differences (large margin).

Call the other individuals or companies that gave you those estimates and ask them to detail the procedures that they will be doing on your project....have them put this in writing on new proposals. Ask them to include any other information regarding this project...again, in writing. Do this with your third estimate as well.

This will allow you to see what each 'one' plans on doing. It will allow you to see who is being thorough. You will get a better idea of which ones KNOW what they are doing. Some contractors will look at a job, that they have little experience with, and will then price it high, in order to cover all costs that may come up, because they lack the understanding of knowing just what has to be done.

By getting details, you will better understand how much work will be involved (Thus explaining the amount of each estimate...and what they are basing the costs on)

I think it is unprofessional to issue an estimate simply saying: Level House: Cost; $4,500.00

There should be details....Keep looking till you get those details in writing...
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:31 PM   #4

hi guys - I should have given you a bit more info about these quotes, and the situation in general, so here goes - My house was built in 1913. It has 2 x7 floor joists, spread at 24" I think. The teleposts (number and placement) do not match current code. The bedroom was once the porch, it leans a bit. The floors are low in the center, but not necessarily level if measured around the perimeter. My house has a 3/4 basement. But on the good side, it has everything - a deck, a double insulated garage, a nice treed lot, etc etc.

the 4400 quote, I haven't got it yet. He called me to tell me how much it worked out to. This is the guy that wouldn't have gotten a permit. He sounds ok and has been doing this for a long time. He says he'll get a permit, but he says its an extra $550 to get an engineer's report. I still think its not a lot of money to put out.

He says that all he wants to do is jack up the house floor in certain places and jack and level it. We have a porch that has no foundation under it. It is now part of our bedroom. He wants to hand dig a couple of holes and pour piers there to provide footings for the porch and add short teleposts and level it. The rest of the house he will just just jack up, and shim low areas around the perimeter. I think he mentioned adding at least one telepost and maybe reinforcing the main beam also.

The 23000 quote - He wanted to dig all around the perimeter of the house, to about 3 ft (to see what was there). He then wanted to pour footings/piers all around the outside (one every 8 ft, I think?). After doing this, he was going to use these to level the house. His treatment of the porch/now bedroom was about the same.

I did get another quote from a few years ago for 7775. Thses guys were going to basically do the same thing in the porch, he was also going to double up the joists (now 2 x 7) at my request, by notching a 2 x 8 and bolting them to the existing joists. They were going to add teleposts as per current code, and beef up the main beam, also.

I thionk the permit is a good idea, but one thing I'm wondering is what happens if the city wants to go the 23000 route or something like it ? Can they force the guy doing the work to change his method ? Who decides how far I should go ? How far should I go ? Sorry this has turned into a major thesis.

Last edited by terryt; 03-10-2007 at 05:33 PM. Reason: errors
terryt is offline   Reply With Quote