Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #1

Share |

Looking for ideas to adjust drainage for well deck

Any help appreciated...

Attached image shows the deck off of our MBR. I call it a "well deck" because the floor is solid, and the deck is covered in a heavy textured waterproof material with a corner drain. Unfortunately the corner drain is doubled in thickness, and there is a very slight depression away from this area. The floor of this deck has sufficient slope outwards, but not side-to-side. And the roof overhang ensures that in the rainy PNW there is always a small amount of standing water.

We've gotten by with squeegeeing the water off when we need it dry, but I'd like to find a low impact way to re-contour the floor so that there's at least some natural drainage.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for ideas to adjust drainage for well deck-upperdeck.jpg  
centerisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerisl View Post

Any ideas?
put a roof over it? if you can't get under it to somehow elevate the floor, that sounds like a tough deal, unless you want to put in a patch in the puddle area. too ugly?
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
put a roof over it? if you can't get under it to somehow elevate the floor, that sounds like a tough deal, unless you want to put in a patch in the puddle area. too ugly?
An extension to the roof is a possibility - and would keep the debris as well as the water off the deck. It would, of course, become it's own cleaning problem.

I groveled the web and found "SynDeckŪ Regular Underlayment (FR0499)" that you can "Trowel over bond coating to fair and level deck irregularities and produce positive slopes towards drain."

I'll probably contact them and see if they think this would work in my application. I could have my contractor apply a colorant and even sprinkle with sand if I wanted to give it some grip, but you are right - if could end up looking fugly compared to the consistency of the existing deck membrane.

Thanks for the response...let me know if you (or anyone else) has any additional ideas, techniques, or products to suggest.
centerisl is offline   Reply With Quote