Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Looking for feedback on a roof design

We have a small piece of property on an island near Vancouver, BC, with an airstream trailer on it. We're looking at the idea of building a deck in front of the airstream, and a roof to cover the airstream and the deck, giving us shelter from the (frequent) rain, and a place to put an outdoor wood stove.

The deck would be about 15' by 36', about 12/18" off the ground.

The roof would be relatively large, about 24' by 36', shed style, therefore requiring some fairly heavy duty framing.

I just got an estimate from some builders, and it's higher than I anticipated -- about $8kCAD for parts, $8kCAD for labor (3 guys, 2 weeks). I'm expecting actual figures would be a bit higher due to buffer for lumber just-in-case (especially when on an island, that makes sense), and "life happens" labor cost increases.

Part of me is a bit skeptical of the estimate, as it's very round-figurish. It's likely about right in terms of building a fairly large well-framed roof out of heavy lumber.

I'm wondering whether there are alternative designs that would help us bring the cost down, and where I could do more of the work. I'm happy to do decking, for example, and have build a small framed shed, but I'm not keen to take on a large-beamed roof.

Ideas?

airstreamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #2

Just build a simple pole barn and park the trailer in it. Maybe you're looking for more fancy than that?

dhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Realistically speaking, you may not be approaching this in the most precise and productive manner. Without some pre-determined and clearly laid out specifics and a definitive set of finalized plans, neither you nor the bidding contractor can be truly satisfied and comfortable with the estimated time and/or money to build this structure.

Last edited by Willie T; 02-20-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote