Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Look what I found -- crazy framing!

First time caller, long-time listener.

Some context: I purchased my first house a few months back. The house itself is in good shape, but there is an un-permitted garage conversion plus laundry room. I figure that eventually when I have money again I'll change the garage back to a garage and make laundry room into permitted second bathroom.

In the meantime, I have these two structures, and I notice that the doors to both are pretty badly out of plumb. I figure this could be just poor use of shims, but I better rip down some drywall and take a look. From my untrained eye, what I saw looks totally crazy.

Door #1 is entry into the garage. There is nice massive header, but the king stud just stops and does not make it to the top of the frame. Through the cripples and over the king stud are running hot and cold water and a gas line. Electricity is running through a wall top plate down along gas line outside king stud. Wall sole plate under compromised kind stud and jack stud is a four inch block of wood.

Door #2 is .... well just take a look at the picture and you'll see. Nothing has given way (yet), but it just looks that they used a former roof rafter (a 2x4) for the header. Again the king stud does not make it to the wall top plate. There is not even a jack stud.

Anyway, this is obviously highly messed up construction -- they guys were probably completely high when they built it.

So question: what is the fix? My thought was to run gas and water into garage and through a soffit and around door. Then re-frame both door frames.

I'm a novice on all this, so I figure that especially since gas and copper water pipes are involved as well as load-bearing walls, I need to call in a pro. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Look what I found -- crazy framing!-img_1573.jpg   Look what I found -- crazy framing!-img_1570.jpg  

hsif2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,144

And people wonder why there's basic building codes and permits.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 83

Looks like something I built That is crazy
Ralph Coolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 606

Might have been an old timer that did it. I have a 1930 house and there are no headers or jack studs anywhere. Just the way they rolled in the depression I guess.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,556

That is funky.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
doors, electricity, framing, gas, plumbing