Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Long deck poles


I'm building an addition that will feature a narrow, two-level deck with a gabled roof extending over it and I'm trying to decide what to use for poles. One side of the deck will rest on ledgers attached to the house. The other end has to be supported by poles. The width of the deck will be about 7 feet. I assume the best strategy would be to run the poles all the way from the footers up to the roof, but I'm not sure what I can use that will be long enough (It's 23feet to the peak of the roof). I could stack shorter poles at each level, but I like the idea of a single, solid support better. I've thought about using utility poles (telephone poles) and also raw tree trunks from eastern red cedars (got plenty of those on my property). But I want to know what other options there might be. I know you folks don't know about local code requirements etc. (yes it has to pass inspection), but if I get some good suggestions, I can ask about them at the permit office. I'm having trouble finding out what's out there, because all my searches for deck posts only list 4x4s and sometimes 6x6s, which are probably not adequate and are generally not 23 feet long.

Okie0030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
old guy contractor
 
tcleve4911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maine on Little Sebago
Posts: 857
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Long deck poles


Go to your local lumberyard
You can buy/order 26' 2x8 and rip it down.
Glue and screw the 2 pieces and end up with 23' 3x3's
I'm not addressing aesthetics or stability.....

tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Long deck poles


tcleve,

Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure that 3x3s would be too small, but the basic idea of laminating 2x8s is a good one.
Okie0030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
old guy contractor
 
tcleve4911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maine on Little Sebago
Posts: 857
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Long deck poles


You could also do a "Box Beam"
2 -4x4x12' (24') in the middle wrapped with 2x6 and 2x8
Scarf / 1/2 lap the joints of the two 4x4s
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tcleve4911 For This Useful Post:
Okie0030 (12-09-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Member
 
robertcdf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 655
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Long deck poles


Find a timber supplier, I can order up to 40x40 up to 40' length (and everything in between).
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Framing Contractor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 1,758
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Long deck poles


Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie0030
I'm building an addition that will feature a narrow, two-level deck with a gabled roof extending over it and I'm trying to decide what to use for poles. One side of the deck will rest on ledgers attached to the house. The other end has to be supported by poles. The width of the deck will be about 7 feet. I assume the best strategy would be to run the poles all the way from the footers up to the roof, but I'm not sure what I can use that will be long enough (It's 23feet to the peak of the roof). I could stack shorter poles at each level, but I like the idea of a single, solid support better. I've thought about using utility poles (telephone poles) and also raw tree trunks from eastern red cedars (got plenty of those on my property). But I want to know what other options there might be. I know you folks don't know about local code requirements etc. (yes it has to pass inspection), but if I get some good suggestions, I can ask about them at the permit office. I'm having trouble finding out what's out there, because all my searches for deck posts only list 4x4s and sometimes 6x6s, which are probably not adequate and are generally not 23 feet long.
Do you have plans and permits?
__________________
Joe Carola
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Carola For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (12-05-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MI's Western UP
Posts: 599
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Long deck poles


could you have the footer stick up 3' (I'm thinking those concrete tube forms here) so you could just use 20' stuff?
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Long deck poles


Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcdf View Post
Find a timber supplier, I can order up to 40x40 up to 40' length (and everything in between).
I've had my lumber supplier look into it. I could get timbers but they quite pricey for just a few. Might be the best option tho.
Okie0030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Long deck poles


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Do you have plans and permits?
Yes, but my plans do not specify pole materials. And I would not likely be getting an inspection unless I had a permit.
Okie0030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Long deck poles


Quote:
Originally Posted by forresth View Post
could you have the footer stick up 3' (I'm thinking those concrete tube forms here) so you could just use 20' stuff?
Gotta tie the lower deck on at about 2'. So no go there.
Okie0030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Long deck poles


Any thoughts on just cutting and stripping some local cedars?
Okie0030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
Residential Designer
 
AndyGump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orange County CA.
Posts: 1,316
Rewards Points: 548
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump
Default

Long deck poles


Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie0030 View Post
Yes, but my plans do not specify pole materials.

Why in god's name not?

Were they drawn on the back of an envelope or something?


Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Long deck poles


Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
Why in god's name not?

Were they drawn on the back of an envelope or something?


Andy.
Yes, in red crayon....about those posts???
Okie0030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #14
Residential Designer
 
AndyGump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orange County CA.
Posts: 1,316
Rewards Points: 548
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump
Default

Long deck poles


Did it cost too much to have little detail included?

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #15
Framing Contractor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 1,758
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Long deck poles


Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie0030

Yes, but my plans do not specify pole materials. And I would not likely be getting an inspection unless I had a permit.
How come you're not getting a permit?

__________________
Joe Carola
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deck Staining Nightmare steven994 Painting 6 04-06-2014 10:10 PM
Deck Boards and Deck Size Earnie Building & Construction 6 09-12-2011 09:38 PM
Ipe Deck Builder in Long Island NY istadnyk Off Topic 1 09-19-2010 10:08 AM
Install a deck on top of a EPDM flat roof. -Pjackso Roofing/Siding 16 08-02-2010 04:35 PM
Post detail for raised covered deck jogr Building & Construction 3 05-16-2009 08:46 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.