DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   Long deck poles (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/long-deck-poles-125678/)

Okie0030 12-05-2011 11:15 AM

Long deck poles
 
I'm building an addition that will feature a narrow, two-level deck with a gabled roof extending over it and I'm trying to decide what to use for poles. One side of the deck will rest on ledgers attached to the house. The other end has to be supported by poles. The width of the deck will be about 7 feet. I assume the best strategy would be to run the poles all the way from the footers up to the roof, but I'm not sure what I can use that will be long enough (It's 23feet to the peak of the roof). I could stack shorter poles at each level, but I like the idea of a single, solid support better. I've thought about using utility poles (telephone poles) and also raw tree trunks from eastern red cedars (got plenty of those on my property). But I want to know what other options there might be. I know you folks don't know about local code requirements etc. (yes it has to pass inspection), but if I get some good suggestions, I can ask about them at the permit office. I'm having trouble finding out what's out there, because all my searches for deck posts only list 4x4s and sometimes 6x6s, which are probably not adequate and are generally not 23 feet long.

tcleve4911 12-05-2011 11:20 AM

Go to your local lumberyard
You can buy/order 26' 2x8 and rip it down.
Glue and screw the 2 pieces and end up with 23' 3x3's
I'm not addressing aesthetics or stability.....:no:

Okie0030 12-05-2011 11:28 AM

Laminating dimensional lumber
 
tcleve,

Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure that 3x3s would be too small, but the basic idea of laminating 2x8s is a good one.

tcleve4911 12-05-2011 11:57 AM

You could also do a "Box Beam"
2 -4x4x12' (24') in the middle wrapped with 2x6 and 2x8
Scarf / 1/2 lap the joints of the two 4x4s

robertcdf 12-05-2011 12:34 PM

Find a timber supplier, I can order up to 40x40 up to 40' length (and everything in between).

Joe Carola 12-05-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okie0030
I'm building an addition that will feature a narrow, two-level deck with a gabled roof extending over it and I'm trying to decide what to use for poles. One side of the deck will rest on ledgers attached to the house. The other end has to be supported by poles. The width of the deck will be about 7 feet. I assume the best strategy would be to run the poles all the way from the footers up to the roof, but I'm not sure what I can use that will be long enough (It's 23feet to the peak of the roof). I could stack shorter poles at each level, but I like the idea of a single, solid support better. I've thought about using utility poles (telephone poles) and also raw tree trunks from eastern red cedars (got plenty of those on my property). But I want to know what other options there might be. I know you folks don't know about local code requirements etc. (yes it has to pass inspection), but if I get some good suggestions, I can ask about them at the permit office. I'm having trouble finding out what's out there, because all my searches for deck posts only list 4x4s and sometimes 6x6s, which are probably not adequate and are generally not 23 feet long.

Do you have plans and permits?

forresth 12-05-2011 08:49 PM

could you have the footer stick up 3' (I'm thinking those concrete tube forms here) so you could just use 20' stuff?

Okie0030 12-09-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertcdf (Post 786605)
Find a timber supplier, I can order up to 40x40 up to 40' length (and everything in between).

I've had my lumber supplier look into it. I could get timbers but they quite pricey for just a few. Might be the best option tho.

Okie0030 12-09-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Carola (Post 786775)
Do you have plans and permits?

Yes, but my plans do not specify pole materials. And I would not likely be getting an inspection unless I had a permit.

Okie0030 12-09-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forresth (Post 787027)
could you have the footer stick up 3' (I'm thinking those concrete tube forms here) so you could just use 20' stuff?

Gotta tie the lower deck on at about 2'. So no go there.

Okie0030 12-09-2011 03:46 PM

Cedars
 
Any thoughts on just cutting and stripping some local cedars?

AndyGump 12-09-2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okie0030 (Post 789930)
Yes, but my plans do not specify pole materials.


Why in god's name not?

Were they drawn on the back of an envelope or something?


Andy.

Okie0030 12-09-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyGump (Post 789994)
Why in god's name not?

Were they drawn on the back of an envelope or something?


Andy.

Yes, in red crayon....about those posts???

AndyGump 12-09-2011 05:31 PM

Did it cost too much to have little detail included?

Andy.

Joe Carola 12-09-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okie0030

Yes, but my plans do not specify pole materials. And I would not likely be getting an inspection unless I had a permit.

How come you're not getting a permit?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved