Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #1

Share |

Long crack in slab foundation

Noticed an uneven feeling walking on the carpet. So I pulled up a section, and the foundation has a long crack.

One side of the crack, the foundation is 1/16 to an 1/8" higher. House was built in 1979, in N. Texas, lots of foundation issues here.

Looking at foundation repair, it appears to be very expensive... and no guarantee that issue wont happen again.

Just wondering what my options are... House is close to being paid off, but it is an older house. Wondering do I cut my losses and move or repair??
Attached Thumbnails
Long crack in slab foundation-foundation2.jpg   Long crack in slab foundation-foundation.jpg  

dbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Long crack in slab foundation

North Texas is well known for expansive clay soils,prone to the type of problems you describe. There is an entire industry devoted to repair of such problems. My recommendation is to hire an independent structural or geotechnical engineer to evaluate your situation, and recommend the best solution. Unfortunately you can get multiple bids from foundation repair companies, and still know very little about how their solutions will perform. An independent engineer should be able to give you a disinterested opinion on the options for repair, probable approximate cost, and the likelihood of long term success.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
dbower (01-04-2011)