Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Log Home vs. Stick Built Price

I'm going to build this summer, 2000 sq. ft cape style with an attached garage, and I don't' know what method would be cheaper. I'm not sure if I want to go with a true log home, or stick built with some type of wood siding. I would probably leave the exposed log look in the downstairs areas except in the kitchen and bath. If anyone has priced out the difference I'd appreciate the feedback.

vtboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #2

I have only worked on a couple of log homes, knew a guy who built them.
Both the professional and the homeowner who built their own said it was no cheaper to build out of logs.

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #3

What mae-ling said. The only reason my log home was cheaper to build is because my wife and I did it ourselves. She was the GC and I was all the subs (that's her version anyway).
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Disabled wood vet

I'd build a conventional home and then put log lap siding on it if you want that look.
A lot easier for electricians and plumbers as well. I don't know what the R value of logs are.

Last edited by titanoman; 02-06-2012 at 09:47 PM.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Disabled wood vet

Are you going to build it yourself or have it built?
I only ask because I met a couple and a friend of theirs that built their own log home (the walls anyway. I was hired to build the roof for them because the two-story walls got too tall and the height became too much for their nerves) that said they would never do it again.
It took them 2 years instead of six months because of inexperience with one problem after another.
But this was a real tall 3000 sg ft 2 story home built into the side of a mountain (overlooking a lake), so the front walls were about 30' off the ground.
They just bit off more than they could chew I guess.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #6

I'm going to be subing out a lot of the work, will most likely bring in someone to do all the framing, then finish the rest on my own. I'm leaning towards stick built, and using live edge siding, also allowing me to spray foam the walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
Are you going to build it yourself or have it built?
I only ask because I met a couple and a friend of theirs that built their own log home (the walls anyway. I was hired to build the roof for them because the two-story walls got too tall and the height became too much for their nerves) that said they would never do it again.
It took them 2 years instead of six months because of inexperience with one problem after another.
But this was a real tall 3000 sg ft 2 story home built into the side of a mountain (overlooking a lake), so the front walls were about 30' off the ground.
They just bit off more than they could chew I guess.
vtboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Unless you do all the work yourself, log homes generally run about three times as expensive as framed homes. (NOT timber framed)
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 8

Lets look at the costs.
Stick built 2,000sqf lumber package right around 45k
Log home 45-70K
Easy to frame up a stick built home almost zero crane time
Log home a lot of crane time most Crane companies charge from 100 to 300 dollars a hour.
So far a stick built home is getting cheaper. Then you have the problem of Banks lending on a log home they are not the "normal" A stick built home is easy to finance and easy to build.
Best of luck to you.
Nailbags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Too Old

Prices vary on location, I just finished a stick built home 1940 sq' $25,245 material, labor, and trusses, pricing a log home in my area will not happen.
Talk with a couple good GC's and get opinions on which would suit you better. It may cost more for a log home but it may be what you are happy with.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #10

Prices do indeed vary by location. But moreso depending on what the log home kit includes. My log home is about 1,700 square feet. The kit included logs, covered porch posts and beams, girders, floor joists, rafters, ridge beam, roof decking, roofing felt, subflooring (Advantec for the main floor and t&g 2x6 for the loft), t&g 1x6 for the ceiling, and all the doors and windows. Total kit price in 2008, including delivery, was around $46,000. My wife and I built the house ourselves, and spent only about another $60,000 doing it. Had we not opted for custom cabinets, top-of-the-line appliances, and granite countertop, it would have been substantially less.

md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote