Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #1

Share |

log home 'kit'

has anyone built a 'pre sawn/notched' cabin or small log house? Looking for 'mom and pop' type custom. Not the 'squirted from a toothpaste tube' look.
I am in the 'gathering information' stage...
Thanks!
Bob

rancherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

log home 'kit'

well, the toothpaste (chinking) does serve a purpose. If you do not want a cabin with chinking, you would have to have some other means of sealing the joint between the logs.

and what do you mean "mom and pop" type custom?

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:15 AM   #3

log home 'kit'

How much do you think a log weighs??? Even "kits" are not a 1-2 man job. They require cranes, etc. And what he said about chinking, it does tend to keep out the air, rain. I suppose there are DIY kits, but you can't do them by yourself.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #4

log home 'kit'

too funny!! no, lol, I meant the LOGS!! not the chinking!! I have seen where the 'logs' (or whatever they are made of) all look like the are perfectly symetrical end to end, and look just like they were 'squirted out of a toothpaste tube'. (probably just siding)

While driving around in the western US, from time to time I would see a construction site, where several home were being cut and trial fitted. At one end of the lot, there were the fresh trees stacked up, then came the skinned logs, cut logs, notched logs, then finally the actual construction. After they were ready to go, they would be disassembled, loaded on trucks, and delivered. At the time, I thought, hmmm... interesting, but didn't write down any phone numbers...
By 'mom and pop' operations, I am refering to the size of the operation! These appeared to be small 3-4 workers, busy as beavers, cutting and fitting. All done outside, not in a huge facility. (lower overhead)
I am talking about a bonafide, rough, needs a lot of chinking, log house!
I have enough heavy machinery here to pick up and set logs. And my 'family' here on the ranch is a pretty tough bunch!

oh, these threads!! if only you could read my mind!! lol, I need to be more articulate!
Bob

Last edited by rancherman; 12-20-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

log home 'kit'

Got any Amish folks in your area?
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
rancherman (12-20-2010)
Old 12-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #6

log home 'kit'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
Got any Amish folks in your area?
actually, yes. I know exactly what you are thinking! Thanks!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

log home 'kit'

they can swing a mean adze and twist a good fro.

there are homes that have machined logs so all the logs are identical and perfectly cylindrical. Like you, I think that looks too perfect.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #8

log home 'kit'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
How much do you think a log weighs??? Even "kits" are not a 1-2 man job. They require cranes, etc. And what he said about chinking, it does tend to keep out the air, rain. I suppose there are DIY kits, but you can't do them by yourself.
I know exactly how much they weigh, and yes, you CAN build a kit by yourself. My wife and I (both in our 60s) are nearly finished building a log home kit. Except for the roof, HVAC, and foundation, she and I have literally done everything by ourselves with a bit of help from the kids. It's a single story with a loft (only 9 courses of logs). We did not need a crane, even for the ridge beam or rafters. Our logs are 6 x 12 inches and random in length (12-16 feet). We had to figure out the door and window openings and cut them ourselves. The only machinery we had to rent was a boom lift for a couple of days.

Not saying it was a piece of cake, and we'll never do it again, but it was something we always wanted to do.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
nap
You talking to me?

log home 'kit'

crane/ boom lift

same effective action.

Just about anything is possible if a person wants to put the effort into it. If anybody has doubts about what one man can do, check out this:

http://coralcastle.com/

http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/photos/r...oral/coral.htm
Old 12-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
Custom User Title

log home 'kit'

I used to work for a log home builder. I loved it. We used kits for some and others we had the wood milled and we cut them ourselves.

no1hustler is offline   Reply With Quote