Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Log Cabin Build: Looking for an Cost-Effective sealant for new logs

My name is Lori and my hubby of 31 years and I are trying to get off the grid and simplify...in trying to become self sufficient, we are building a low maintenance, one room log cabin... My first question for the group is what, if anything, have y'all discovered for an affordable sealant for new logs...??? We are trying to avoid the $300 per 5gallon option. Thanks!

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 09-30-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Topic Question Put in Subject Line
LOG CABIN GIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the forums! Both of you...

I'll move you to "B & C" for more response.

Gary

Old 09-30-2012, 07:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,132

Frankly, there's no such thing as a "low maintenance" log house. I know: I currently live in one my wife and I built by ourselves, and had another one years ago. But to answer your question, the least expensive thing you could do is paint the outside with ordinary house paint (over suitable primer, of course). There's really no need to seal the inside.

I suspect the expensive stuff you're talking about Sikkens. It's considered the best, and is what we used, along with an additive to repel insects. For what you're talking about building, you shouldn't need anywhere near 5 gallons, and it does come in 1-gallon cans.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

For joint sealing on the outside, we used Permachink. It is sort of expensive though, so you may not be interested. I think I spent about $1,000 on enough to cover the joints of our small log house. It is good stuff though. It goes on like caulking and adheres really well to the logs. It's sort of foamy, so I suspect the air bubbles help insulate. Seems pretty durable, but it's only been on for about 4 years now. We struggled (and still do to some degree) with high utility bills due to heat loss and this was a step in the right direction.
lynxpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,224

Gotta say that it's not really cheap if you pay $5 per gallon and it only lasts for 6 months. Sikkens has some good stuff but give Flood's CWF-UV a look see. It's about $20 per gallon & is readily available at most paintstores and boxstores. You might want to test it on a few logs to see what you think before buying a bunch.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

And if I misunderstood and you were talking about a weather coating for the logs (like deck paint or whatever), we just used the inexpensive stuff from the big box store. I forget the brand, maybe Thompson weather seal. It's not very expensive at all. I researched a lot and there was little to no consensus on a durable seal. Most opinions had no science behind them and they all had a short lifetime, so I would presume that the best preservation is sanding and new coat every 4 years or so, and if you have to do that anyway, might as well use the cheap stuff. We do a rotation. One side per year. I got some hand sanders and we use a rough grit paper (120) and give it a light sanding. Goes pretty quickly, but again our house is single story with low pitch roof and only 1233 sq ft.
lynxpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,048

Lori,Welcome to the Forum
It is a good idea to include your location in your profile
By including your location, you may get more specific responses.
Also check out how to Post pictures in the How To section,

To add your location to your profile see more How-To

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote