DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Loft Build Out *HELP*

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Sdyess 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to this site but am hoping you all can help me out! Me and my friends have recently rented a Loft in Brooklyn and we have a very ambitious project to build out 5 rooms in this 28x18' loft

None of us have ever built something this big before but have some general knowledge in construction and building.

Ive modeled what we want to do in a CAD program to scale and wanted to know your suggestions on how to improve, expedite, and overall comments about structure, weight, spacing, and anything else I may be going about this project wrong.

So I've attached some actual pictures and screenshots of renders. The main cube is four bedrooms stacked but in an L-Shaped fashion meaning that there is a standing area and a bed area, then the same thing is stacked on top but reversed, kind of like two L pieces fit together in tetris. Then the fifth room is lofteroutside of this for a smaller room creating an arc entrance way into the living room. There is a 2' hallway on the right side of the main cube to get up to the back right room (Stairs not shown in pictures)

For constructing the frames I've used 2x4s doubling up for the first level's corner pieces, top planks, and around door frames, with a general spacing of 16" on center. For the floor joists I was using 2x6 planks spaced at 16" on center with probably an HDF floor board.

Let me know if there are any questions with the screenshots I took or if there are any other views/dimensions you need to help me with this project!

Thank you

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Pretty neat design...just some questions. I really like the 2 L shaped bedrooms. I take it you did it that way because you do not have the ceiling height to make 2 full floors. That being said over some of your rooms will there not be dead space.....a space not tall enough to stand? If so why enclose it rather than have a cathedral ceiling for a nice chandler? Maybe I am not looking at it correctly.

#6 ·
That's when I was 1st thinking when I looked at the design but then I figured out. The lower room will have the standing space and then a lower space next to it where the bed will be under the standing space of the room above it. The bed for that room will be on top of the ceiling space is a lower room. That's repeated for the 2 rooms on the other side. No waste space at all! It's certainly a very neat design.

Since I'm assuming this is in a major city the OP will definitely need to obtain permits from the local authorities to do this work and obviously will have to have the building owners permission also. Whether the fire protection needs to be extended into the lower rooms are not should be easily determined by the code officials when he obtains the building permit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.