Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #1

Share |

loft

I'd like to build a small loft, about 4' to 5' wide by 12' long, in a room with a high, vaulted ceiling. The room itself is about 11' x 12'. Looking at floor joist requirements, I'm thinking I could use 2 x 6s, at 12" OC, running in the 12' direction. These would attach to an exterior (i.e., load bearing) wall on one side, and a formerly-exterior wall on the other side (the room is an addition). So, it seems to me that it's basically an interior deck and so there shouldn't be any structural issues.

This is just at the "thinking out load" stage, so I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts.

Thanks.

Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #2

loft

What do you want to use it for?

You could run a beam the 12' length and then 2x4 joists the 4' direction.

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #3

loft

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
What do you want to use it for?

You could run a beam the 12' length and then 2x4 joists the 4' direction.
We'll use it as a glorified loft bed, and maybe a small amount of storage---nothing too major.

Yes, now that you mention it, a beam sounds like the way to go. Would a 4x6 beam span 12'? Or a pair of 2x6s nailed together?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #4

loft

2x6 is undersized for this. You need one to carry itself and another to carry the transferred load. To meet span requirements for a beam set 5' out and 12' long you need (2) 2x10's. Nail them together, and then use joist hangers to hang the 2x6s. The beam should get jack studs to hold it up or make sure you have appropriate hangers and fasteners (you can't just toe-nail it in). This is minimum required for this load.

If I were building it, I'd use 2 2x12's to keep it safe and avoid deflection that will eventually make all your seams crack (and you'll feel it).
RenoStruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #5

loft

OK, so here's what I'm currently planning on doing. I'll use 2x6 joists, 12" OC, which will span 10.5' to a 4x4 post (it's 12' to from wall to wall), as illustrated in the diagram.

I plan to use joists that are Douglas Fir, select structural grade. Using the joist span calculator here,
http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/...rcalcstyle.asp
it looks like I should be OK.

What do you think? Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf loft.pdf (95.3 KB, 42 views)