Load On Wall From Lumber Storage Rack. Should I Worry? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Load on wall from lumber storage rack. Should I worry?

I am converting a garage stall into a woodworking shop. The stall is a third one that was added to an existing two car garage. The wall I want to hang the adjustable steel rack/shelves from is the old exterior wall, now separating the old from the new. It is built of 2x4, and the trusses on the addition run parallel to the wall. I plan to leave the lower 5' for vertical storage of sheet goods and the upper part for boards on the rack. Should I worry about load considerations on the wall ?

Advertisement

rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdy2go View Post
I am converting a garage stall into a woodworking shop. The stall is a third one that was added to an existing two car garage. The wall I want to hang the adjustable steel rack/shelves from is the old exterior wall, now separating the old from the new. It is built of 2x4, and the trusses on the addition run parallel to the wall. I plan to leave the lower 5' for vertical storage of sheet goods and the upper part for boards on the rack. Should I worry about load considerations on the wall ?
I'd worry more about fastener pullout and fastener shear strength for your wall material [studs?].
Hillman Hardware's website has or used to have a good tutorial on this.
How 'bout a side view diagram?

Advertisement

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

I am planning on using dual track steel standards with steel shelf brackets. The brackets are rated 220-340 lbs per pair depending on the size. The tracks have screw holes spaced 11" to 14" depending on the brand, I would think 3 1/2 screws on the studs, with a standard every other stud. Probably 14" or even 19" brackets.
rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote