Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #1

Share |

Load bearing walls

So if I want to run trusses 30 feet across using 2x12s, spaced 16" O.C., I have to have a load bearing wall in the middle. So how would I do this. I imagine build the wall being built first of course, with the trusses laid across the wall. But what next? How do I attach the trusses to each other and the wall (obviously 2x12 aren't 30' long :-) )

tarie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Load bearing walls

I think you are confused about what a truss is. A truss is typically made up of 2x4's gang nailed together in a triangular pattern, not 2x12's, at least not for residential use. Second, a truss by definition spans the entire distance without need for an intermediate support wall. If you have to have a load bearing wall in the middle, you are not using full width trusses, so I wonder what you are planning. Perhaps you are confusing a joist with a truss?

I suggest you post a diagram of what you are planning. You should also describe constraints you need to meet. The bridging required for trusses is different than the bridging for joists, so you should review a standard framing text and make sure you are correctly describing what it is you plan to do.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #3

Load bearing walls

Joist....sorry. Guilty of fast typing. I don't know how to post a drawing, but I want this house to be 30 feet wide. Obviously, I can't have 30 foot joists without some type of interior support. So I am planning (this whole project is inside my head right now), a wall to bisect the length of the house. Made from 2x6s and properly adhered to the basement floor with glue and J-bolts. Ok, how do I secure the joists to this wall
tarie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Load bearing walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarie77 View Post
Ok, how do I secure the joists to this wall
With nails.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Load bearing walls

I suggest you purchase a good framing book. There are many ways to attach a joist to a support wall, including nails (thanks Joe), brackets (thanks Simpson), structural screws, and wooden blocking. Since the project is in your head, you can virtually apply virtually any method virtually. No cost, no danger. When it comes time to actually design it, then you have to make some decisions, that's when a good carpentry book is valuable.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:47 AM   #6

Load bearing walls

The development of the flying buttress in Gothic architecture allowed structures to maintain an open interior space, transferring more weight to the buttresses instead of to central bearing wallsDepending on the type of building and the number of stories, load-bearing walls are gauged to the appropriate thickness to carry the weight above them
bipin12A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Load bearing walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipin12A View Post
The development of the flying buttress in Gothic architecture allowed structures to maintain an open interior space, transferring more weight to the buttresses instead of to central bearing wallsDepending on the type of building and the number of stories, load-bearing walls are gauged to the appropriate thickness to carry the weight above them

The development of punctuation was important also.

Andy.

AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote