Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Load Bearing Wall Weakened

I have a load bearing outside wall in my kitchen that I had a two inch vent line installed for my future kitchen sink. I attached a picture to help better explain my problem. The vent line (green line) runs underneath my kitchen window, through five 2x4 studs, then up through the double top plate and ties into the main stack. My problem is how to go about strengthening this wall with the line in it. I had originally sistered a 2x4 to the windows jack stud and one to the king stud for strenth but now they have a two and a half incho hole in them! The stud bay that the vent runs vertically in is only wide enough for the pipe to run in, and the stud to the right has an outlet box attached to it (blue box) that is for an outside outlet. Can I brace this stud with perpendicular 2x4s to the next stud to the right? What else can I do? I am really worried about the structural strength of this wall. This wall is a load bearing wall, and it is on the first floor of a one story ranch.
Attached Thumbnails
Load Bearing Wall Weakened-kitchen.jpg  

chronojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

If the hole is centered in the stud, I wouldn't worry about it.
This situation is in about every house ever built with no consequences.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

What concerns me the most about this situation is the fact that this wall is perpendicular to the ceiling joists, so they sit on top of this wall. Will adding horizontal bracing between the studs on either side of the outside outlet box? Will that make any difference?
chronojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,012

I doubt that hole makes a difference. How wide is the opening with the window in it?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronojosh View Post
What concerns me the most about this situation is the fact that this wall is perpendicular to the ceiling joists, so they sit on top of this wall. Will adding horizontal bracing between the studs on either side of the outside outlet box? Will that make any difference?
If it calms you down, do it.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote