Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #1

Share |

Is This a Load Bearing Wall? Want to remove it.

Here is a link to lots of photos of the project.
https://picasaweb.google.com/grackle...eat=directlink

I have removed a wall that separates the living to the kitchen except for 2 posts that might be load bearing. The main wall runs parallel to the ceiling joists which are also parallel to the kitchen counters. The second 4 ft long wall runs perpendicular to the joists and the posts used to be the left side of a doorway that led to the kitchen. I removed the doorway but kept the left post for now because it may be load bearing.

Is there a way I can remove 1 or both of these posts and add bracing in the attic to distribute any load bearing across multiple joists? Keeping the rear post (closest to kitchen) would't be that bad if I can get rid of the foreground one.

If I have to keep them. What are some methods to make them into modern or stylish pillars? thanks.

wowor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
"You can do anything"-Mom

Open up the ceiling so you can see how the joists run across it. My first inclination is that it isn't a load bearing wall but there isn't enough information to tell. Those "columns" are just a way to frame a corner. They'd be like that in any wall not just load bearing. What happened to the studs that were there between them? I see stud marks on the header.

brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockmiera View Post
Open up the ceiling so you can see how the joists run across it....What happened to the studs that were there between them? I see stud marks on the header.
I knocked out all the studs except for the edges. The long wall is directly underneath and parallel with a joist that seems to end in the hallway so I haven't found what is holding up that particular joist. All the other joists in the attic seem to continue a few feet further to the major support wall along the right side of the living room and the corner of the AC intake vent.
wowor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowor View Post
I knocked out all the studs except for the edges. The long wall is directly underneath and parallel with a joist that seems to end in the hallway so I haven't found what is holding up that particular joist. All the other joists in the attic seem to continue a few feet further to the major support wall along the right side of the living room and the corner of the AC intake vent.
Does it look like that one joist in question has been cut?

How long is the joist that is resting on that wall?
Old 02-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #5

If that were a load bearing wall the joists would overlap not butt up against each other like that. Something unusual is going on though. I'd pull that ceiling down in the hallway if you can't view it from the attic.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #6

Need a diagram of the walls/rooms/joists and possibly a picture or two in the attic. All your pictures tell me nothing, other than you should have checked in the attic first for joist direction along with basement/crawl joist direction. Those "posts" appear to be just wall end studs in a (probably) bearing wall that abuts another perpendicular wall...one or the other may be bearing.

Gary

Tags
framing, joists, kitchen, load bearing, remodel