Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #1

Share |

load bearing wall removal

I am wanting to remove a load bearing wall that spans 8ft. This is on a first floor with a second floor sitting on top. I would like to have it hidden into the ceiling and not have a visable header. the 2x12's go into a header but are sitting on the load bearing wall. what can I do to make sure that it is secure but not visable, are there special joist hangers that will hold the weight or is there something that can be done to make it strong enough to hold the weight of the second floor.
ronnteresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #2

This is going to be a very complicated project that nobody here can advise you about. A lot more information is going to be required both to design the solution and to get the required permits. You need to consult a local structural engineer.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnteresa View Post
I am wanting to remove a load bearing wall that spans 8ft.
I would like to have it hidden into the ceiling and not have a visable header.
what can I do
to make sure that it is secure but not visable...
1) Hire an engineer or architect to write a "prescription" for the project.
2) Then decide if you are up to performing that work.
(If not, then find a good contractor.)
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
ronnteresa (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #4

Thank you for your reply, we have tried to find an engineer and have contacted many but don't seem to get any response from them, we have had 3 contractors come out and look, but all three have different opinions. I really appreciate you taking your time to at least answer. Although I would really like to find out how to get a response from an engineer, they don't seem to call back to even let us know what they would charge to come and look at the project.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #5

when we removed 2 load bearing walls in my parents house, we had to use 2 2X10 plam beams fastened together (4X10), and install posts made of 3x 2x6 down to the basement and 3 foot deep pier under that. floor joists attached to the plam beams with joist hangers.

all of this was planned out by an engineer and architect, but we did all the work ourselves.

it's a MAJOR project, even though it seems very simple, but opened up the whole floor and was totally worth it.

*edit*
worth noting that these spans were about 15 feet on one, and 20 on the other. basicly looked like this = are the joists, | are the beams.

=====|===|====
=====|===|====
=====|===|====
=====|===|====

Last edited by sevenlol; 03-02-2012 at 09:59 PM.
sevenlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #6

so the engineer did have you use joist hangers, were they any particular type? Since the header of 2-2X12's is already in place shouldn't I be able to add the joist hangers to that or maybe replace it with 2 lvl"s to make it stronger?
thank you so much for your input, we really appreciate all the help and advice we can get to make sure this project is done and done correctly.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #7

basicly, this was a bedroom, then a hallway, then the kitchen/dining room. we took out the 2 load bearing walls that formed the hallway, and opened everything up for the new mega kitchen/dining room.

so already, the 2nd floor joists were resting on top of the load bearing walls. we had to shore up under both sides of 1 wall on both that floor, and the floor below it (4x4 shores, 4x6 top and 4x4 bottom) to support the weight while we took the wall down. after that we laid out the line where the edge of the beam would be, and took a sawzall and cut each joist on both sides so that the 4x10 beam could slide up inside it. got the beam up, and temporary supports in the middle while we then constructed the posts and then removed the temporary supports. added joist hangers to each joist on each side. removed the shoring, and moved to the other wall.

each wall took us around a day if i remember, but the shoring material and tools were easy for us to come by as my dad is co-owner of a good sized commercial construction company, and both of us have high DIY skills.

like i said, it's a MAJOR project to hide a load bearing beam. leaving an exposed beam would be a little less intensive.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #8

the joist hangers were the standard long U shape simpson strong tie.

if you go that route, i would strongly suggest getting an air powered palm nailer, as nailing all those hangers in by hand gets frustrating with only 16in to hammer in.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #9

Thanks, I just located the simpson site for the joist hangers, as well as with your help figured out that I do need to shore up and add extra header boards to hold up the second story since the joists will now be adding weight to the original header. Thank you so much for your input and helping me think it through, I have already removed all the sheetrock so I am able to see exactly what I need to do and with your help I think it is a possible project.(although not easy, I think it will be worth it) thanks also for the idea of the nail gun, I need and appreciate all the helpful advice.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #10

you need to shore up any floors below as well, all the way to the basement with both a top and bottom "plate" to pick up and distribute evenly. and try to get the shores in the same vertical plane from floor to floor so that all the weight load goes straight to the concrete floor.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #11

thank you, I will do, you have been a great help!
Old 03-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #12
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnteresa View Post
thank you, I will do, you have been a great help!
Should you happen to kill yourself and/or someone else down the road by accepting structural advice over the internet, we shall all disavow any knowledge of your actions.

Cedric.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyGump For This Useful Post:
Msradell (03-03-2012)