DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Load Bearing Wall??? please help

14K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Chemist1961 
#1 · (Edited)
HI hoping someone can help with our problem, we want to knock down a bedroom wall and need to know if the wall is load bearing, we have looked at many websites that say if the wall is parallel to the joists then it is not load bearing, well our wall is parallel to the joists but we have a piece of wood that comes down from the roof and rests on the wall as seen in the picture so we are not sure what this is doing, if the roof is being supported by it and what we need to do about it? so hope there is someone who can let us know what is happening here

A quick run down of the type of house we have is:
single story house, flooring is floorboards, house is off the ground aprox 1/2 metre from the ground. house is 50 - 60 years old and we are from Australia

Thanks heaps

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
First of all, it looks like one of the floor joists has been cut out where the large space is. I would repair that before removing any wall below.
Secondly, the insulation is in the wrong location. It belongs on the floor, not in the roof rafters. It would help if you posted where you live, so we would know how much insulation you need.
The wall looks to be a nonload bearing wall. Not that there would be much of a load on it if it were perpendicular to the joists.
Ron

#3 ·
It looks to me like it is a bearing wall. The angled board is similar to a roof truss support. It is supporting the roof. The other piece may be supporting a roof overhang. The wall is also supporting the ceiling. So treat it as a bearing wall to be safe. You can still make the support beam flush at the ceiling and use joist hangers to continue to support all that looks supported now.

#4 ·
I believe that wall is supporting some weight
The roof strut is on that wall, so so me roof weight
Does the other side have a similar strut?

The "large area" is not missing a ceiling joist
That is where the wall is located - no joist required above that
I prefer insulating the roof deck as shown. That is not wrong, just a preference. In addition they are located in Australia, so preventing heat from entering the attic via the roof deck is a concern. If you use AC I would also insulate between the ceiling & the attic

Right below the "WALL" caption is a board that goes across the wall is connected to 2 other ceiling joists. This would also provide support to the joists making the wall load bearing. If there are more struts like this across the wall then more of a load on the wall

You could install a new support beam flush, or have one exposed below depending upon the look you want

#5 ·
my quess is no, not a typical load bearing wall. You can re support that 2x when you install your new ceiling joists that you'll need to put in. If your worried when taking down the wall, put a tie in from side to side a few feet down from the ridge and if youre really worried, support that 2X from ceiling joists to ceiling until the new joists are in place.

defianetly different down there. I dont recognize a few things in that picture.

have fun mate and I stand by my first two words, "my . . ."

#6 ·
Load bearing walls usually run perpendicular to the ceiling joist, as to support the ceiling joist, which in turn supports the roof. This wall appears to have an angled 2x running up to the roof, so it could be considered a load bearing wall. In actuality it probably isn't, it's just supporting that one 2x.
The small 2x your wondering if it needs support. I believe it is framing for the soffit. It should be sitting on the outside wall and nailed to the beam I see. It's not carrying much weight if any. Should be OK. More detailed pics would help. I'm pretty sure you'd be OK removing the wall. You will more than likely have to add a ceiling joist in there and support that angled 2x with a strongback. A 2x4 laid flat with another 2x nailed to it on edge. Creating an L, or 2 2x's on edge creating a U. Run these on top of the joists, spanning 3-4 or more joist on either side of the opening. Nailing it to each joist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.