Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Load Bearing wall or not

Howdy everyone. Bought a small pool table, never been real happy with it as the room is just a hair too small. Either a support beam, the furnace, shelving etc are all in the way.

Well after a couple of beers, a buddy of mine said just knock out the small brick wall/room and we'd have no problems shooting pool.

So..basically in one corner of my basement a 7x7 area is bricked off with a door. The house is about 22 ft wide, with center support beam running down the length of the house of the house.

The brick wall in the basement would be the only place the floor joists have extra support, in the rest of the basement each span is about 12ft on either side of center (and then sunk into the outer foundation wall at the other end).

Lastly there isnt any sort of load over the brick upstairs, just a wood floor on top of it like the rest of the house.

I'm 99.9999% sure this isnt any type of supporting wall, can i a couple of second opinions before I knock it out.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Load Bearing wall or not-3notched.jpg   Load Bearing wall or not-brickroom.jpg   Load Bearing wall or not-inside.jpg   Load Bearing wall or not-parallel.jpg   Load Bearing wall or not-outside.jpg  

Last edited by ezimmerm; 02-07-2012 at 08:49 PM.
ezimmerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #2

Load Bearing wall or not

Although the photos seem to suggest that the brick wall is not supporting any structure I think you really need someone on site to make a proper evaluation. A Registered Architect or Professional Engineer would best but a knowledgable contractor may work. You really don't want to make a mistake on this. It kind of appears that the intended function may be as a storm safe room.

TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Load Bearing wall or not

it looks like those joists are resting on the brick? I'd consult a professional before I'd start knocking the wall down!
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #4

Load Bearing wall or not

Looks like that brick was installed after the joists and its not bearing a load. Load bearing walls are no joke though so indeed a professional on site would be ideal. If it was my place I would build a temporary wall with about 5 or 6 studs about 2 feet away from it just in case , remove it and then install a load bearing beam if needed.

Although it might not have been built to bear a load, the house could have settled to rest on it.
conspikuous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Load Bearing wall or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezimmerm
Howdy everyone. Bought a small pool table, never been real happy with it as the room is just a hair too small. Either a support beam, the furnace, shelving etc are all in the way.

Well after a couple of beers, a buddy of mine said just knock out the small brick wall/room and we'd have no problems shooting pool.

So..basically in one corner of my basement a 7x7 area is bricked off with a door. The house is about 22 ft wide, with center support beam running down the length of the house of the house.

The brick wall in the basement would be the only place the floor joists have extra support, in the rest of the basement each span is about 12ft on either side of center (and then sunk into the outer foundation wall at the other end).

Lastly there isnt any sort of load over the brick upstairs, just a wood floor on top of it like the rest of the house.

I'm 99.9999% sure this isnt any type of supporting wall, can i a couple of second opinions before I knock it out.

Thanks!
You have no choice but to have a professional come in to look at this. No one here can tell you if that's a bearing wall it not. It's impossible.