Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2007, 04:02 AM   #1

Share |

load bearing wall no more

Hello all...first time here...great forum.

I'm planning on removing a wall that seems to be bearing the weight of a portion of the roof.

2 story house...the wall is upstairs. the length of the span is roughly 30 feet, but at this point some of this is wall and some is open space.

Downstairs there is no wall under the 'wall in question', but according to the blueprints there is a 4-2x10 beam in the ceiling.

I gather I'll refer to an architect or perhaps engineer, but I figured I'd get some input from anyone who has experience with this.

I'm going to put in 3 posts and 2 beams joined running the full length.

What I'm concerned about is the dead weight of the roof, once this is all done, will be loaded onto 3 specific spots (the posts) on the 4-2x10 beam downstairs. Will this constructed beam need to be reinforced? Am I going to get any sagging.

Any suggestions for supporting the weight above while beams are being installed?

Is adding post and beam to a stick framed house a good/bad idea?

What kind of information can you tell me...

At this point...early in the planning stages..I'm not even sure what questions to ask. I just know it would be a bad thing if the roof collapsed, but it would look sweet if this would work, so yeah...any ideas?

Thanks
grant

grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:36 PM   #2

Cool

Yeah this kind of makes my mind go numb so you will have to have someone's advice who can see what's there, or can look at some drawings of what's there. I know that whenever I'm going to transfer load through floors on posts then right below those posts on the lower floor you have another post, whether it's built into the wall or free standing. For example, you wouldn't want the load of a post (assuming it is sized appropriately and the beams on top of it are sized appropriately) to bear on a couple of top plates in a lower wall where there aren't any studs directly beneath.

DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:19 PM   #3

DeeTee is very correct, somebody that knows whats up needs to eyeball this. Drawings are not always correct. Lots of questions..
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

ASSUMING the loads were calculated correctly before, then the beam can handle the first floor and roof load because it is spread out. removing the load bearing wall and changing the roof suppor to posts changes the roof load to point load on the beam.

I can do beam calcs but loads change with type of construction, snow loads for your area, live loads for your zoning, roof pitch, etc.

Adding posts below the beam in line with the new posts would be an option but of course you need post footings there.

If you're getting a permit for this they will require your plan to stamped by an engineer anyway since you are making structural changes. Having previous plans helps.
crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:12 PM   #5

This seems to be a consensus here...engineer for sure.

He's coming over now...I'll see what he thinks.

I've just been keeping my fingers crossed that he's got an easy and affordable solution...if it works it will open many things up in the house. And double the kitchen space (desperately needed!).

Thanks for the advice everyone.
grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #6

Ive done this before in a house. You cannot just remove the wall and put posts. You need to get a structural beam SUPPORTED by the new posts. The beam must run directly below what it is supporting. In the case of what i did, it was supporting 2 rooms of the second floor and a bathroom with alot of heavy tile work. We supported the ceiling temporarily, and we put 2 microlam steel plate headers across the span, and then putting posts where needed.

JFD140 is offline   Reply With Quote