Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
Building A House

Rewards Points: 25

Load bearing wall in basement

So, I'm building the load bearing wall that goes in my new basement. Of course, everything isn't perfectly level. So, at one end, the wall height is about 3/8" lower than the other. So, the way I see it I have three options.

1. Build the wall at the shorter height. Then when the I-joists are set, shim them to make up the the height difference.

2. Install the 32' i-joists before the load bearing wall is built. Then measure the height of each stud. And finally, install the load bearing wall with the help of a big hammer.

3. Something eles???

My first thought is to go with the first method. But, I just thought I would ask.

Ezekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

I'm curious, why not install a steel beam with columns like a typical basement setup? I supposed a properly designed load bearing wall would work. Did you thicken the concrete slab continuously under the load bearing wall for additional support? What sort of stud spacing do you plan on using?

No offense, but based on your suggestions below, you may want to contact a structural engineer for guidance. It would be money well spent.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
Building A House

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubborn1 View Post
I'm curious, why not install a steel beam with columns like a typical basement setup? I supposed a properly designed load bearing wall would work. Did you thicken the concrete slab continuously under the load bearing wall for additional support? What sort of stud spacing do you plan on using?

No offense, but based on your suggestions below, you may want to contact a structural engineer for guidance. It would be money well spent.
We decided not to install a beam since we are going to install a wall at that location anyway. Why have a beam and a wall? Yes, there is a 2'x8" spread footing below the concrete slab along the location of the wall. The 2x6 studs are space at 2' center to match the spacing of the floor joists. Efectivley we have individual posts supporting each floor joist.

Actually, I just got off the phone with a structural engineer. He said either method would be fine. But, it'd be easier to just shim it considering how small of difference I had.
Ezekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

not goin on a whole lot of info here, but why not run a chalk line where the wall will stand at the height where your jsi's are sitting. then mark each stud at the point where it will be stood. then stick frame the wall.
DIYJIMBONL is offline   Reply With Quote