Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #1

Share |

Load bearing wall?

Hello,

I'm doing some kitchen remodeling and planning to open the space by knocking 2 walls that form an L-shape. One of the walls runs perpendicular to the roof joists and runs from the back of the house to the kitchen. The basement beam runs below it very close. I posted some pics in Google Picasa. Any advice is more than welcome.

http://picasaweb.google.com/georgie.suarez/Kitchen#
gsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #2

Load bearing wall?

It looks like there's a good chance that both walls are not load bearing but you need to have someone knowledgeable look at it as things can be missed from just pics.

The reason it looks nonloadbearing is that it appears you have an engineered roof truss system. These usually require bearing only at the exterior walls. Can you tell if the trusses above the wall are identical to those over the living room? And confirm that there is no beam supporting the trusses over the living room (sometimes a beam can be hidden in the attic under the insulation). I notice there is no header above the door which is also indicative of a non loadbearing wall.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:52 AM   #3

Load bearing wall?

jogr, thanks for helping. As far as I know they are the same. I found last night that there are small 2x4 from one truss' bottom cord (joist?) to the others on top of the kitchen but need to verify for the other rooms. I'll look again tonight when is a bit cooler up there and take pics tonight. Something that also seems an indicator of a non-load bearing is that the AC vents are on that same wall instead of the usual massive beam.

I'm trying to hire a structural engineer to take a look but somehow I feel they are trying to rip me off. One guy told me $650 to look at the wall. Are they normally that expensive for such a small job especially when I already ripped the wall and made the attic walkable? Does a regular contractor can provide this kind of advice? Anyway, thanks again for the help.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #4

Load bearing wall?

There's no beam running to the living room. And no solid continuous beam on top of the wall I want to remove. I uploaded new pics http://picasaweb.google.com/georgie.suarez/Kitchen#

If this wall is load bearing is probably the worst I've ever seen. It looks like the wall frame is attached to the joists using small pieces of 2x4 since the frame is not tall enough. I just want to confirm with more experienced people.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
DIY staff

Load bearing wall?

Jogr has the same thoughts as me----I think you are safe. Looks like the same truss in the open area as over the wall.---Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #6

Load bearing wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsuarez View Post
... I'm trying to hire a structural engineer to take a look but somehow I feel they are trying to rip me off. One guy told me $650 to look at the wall. Are they normally that expensive for such a small job especially when I already ripped the wall and made the attic walkable? Does a regular contractor can provide this kind of advice? Anyway, thanks again for the help.
$650 is a really good deal (in my area itís about $800). From my experience pricing is more of a flat rate for showing up, not the size of the job. A contractor can give you advice (right or wrong) but arenít liable for anything they suggest and wonít protect you if anything goes wrong... Engineers are liable.
Eric J is offline   Reply With Quote