Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2007, 11:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

load bearing wall

I am looking to combine a 12 x 9 bedroom with a 14 x 10 bedroom. I checked the joists above in the attic and they run perpendicular to the wall that seperates these two rooms. I assume that makes it a load bearing wall. I would like to find out what size beam I would need to replace the wall. The beam would run 9' long.

marquez29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:55 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 0

load bearing wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquez29 View Post
I am looking to combine a 12 x 9 bedroom with a 14 x 10 bedroom. I checked the joists above in the attic and they run perpendicular to the wall that seperates these two rooms. I assume that makes it a load bearing wall. I would like to find out what size beam I would need to replace the wall. The beam would run 9' long.
Hi,

There are several overall factors that are and can be used to calculate the size of a structural beam. The width of the house, size of the floor joists, how many floors above it, what is actually being supported by the beam, the length of the run, etc...
It sounds like you have a one floor area. It 'could' require something like a triple 11 1/4" to a 14" LVL... or something in that range. But, you need to get the exact required calculations for your structural needs, from someone or some place.

What you can do is simply call your local home builder's supply store (Not a BIG HOME improvement store)...Tell them that you want to find out about installing this (LVL beams). They will turn you over to the dept. or person that handles this. They will tell you what information they need. Find that information and give that to them. They will determine the required size of the beam (width and depth)...
Just about any supply company will do this for you if you are buying the material from them. They should be using a computer program to figure the info. out...so it takes very little effort or time for them to do it.

Realize that when you do remove a wall like that and insert an LVL, the calculations will have a beam that most likely will still be protruding down below the ceiling by several inches.

If you do not want that, take a look at the company linked below. They manufacture hollow core, square steel beams that are smaller in width than LVL's, allowing you to completely recess the beam into the ceiling, producing a completely flat ceiling. Cost was about $500.00 more than an LVL (and no protruding beam)...
They will also bolt wood 2 by's on each side of the beam in order to be able to nail your flooring joists and hangers into it. I'm sure that they can also run the dimension calculations for you as well.

http://metwood.com/span/truspan.htm

We just did this in a house 2 weeks ago, using one of these square steel beams from the company mentioned:
(pre-beam install photo)

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-22-2007 at 05:08 AM. Reason: spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote