Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
Home Improvement Novice

Share |

Is this a load bearing wall?

It looks like a very common question around here, but we are remodeling a kitchen in a duplex I own. It is a side by side unit, the unit to the left (reference the first picture) is an exact mirror image of the unit on the right.

The wall we plan on removing is the wall that divides the living room from the kitchen (the one in the picture with the drywall removed). The joists in the attic run parallel to this wall.

The second picture is the view from the kitchen.

Notes: There are not poles in the basement holding up the floor in this spot. The joists in the floor also run parallel to the wall (this may be obviously though, not sure).
Attached Thumbnails
Is this a load bearing wall?-100_0608_test.jpg   Is this a load bearing wall?-100_0604_test.jpg  

Last edited by BjornSoren; 09-21-2009 at 02:53 PM.
BjornSoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #2

1. Check below for a doubled joist under the wall.

2. Check above for a brace running diagonally up to the roof from top of this wall (purlin support).
Be safe, Gary

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
Home Improvement Novice

Hi Gary,

Sorry for the delay on my reply.

1. There is a double joist that runs approximately 3 inches from the wall that divides the kitchen and the living room (which is the wall in question).

2. No, there is not an angles joist connected to the wall (the joist comes down and meets at the center wall that runs the entire length of the house).

Let me know if there is anything else I can tell you.
BjornSoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

I'm no expert, but these are a few things I've found to help decide if what I'm about to take down is load bearing or not:

- If it's near or in the middle of the house, it most likely is load bearing as it is the "mid point". Often this is also where the joists end and start again (as the lumber is limited by size so they need to be joined to other lumber)

- If there's cement or "jack" type beams in the wall, that lead the the joists.

- when looking at an upstairs wall, if there is another wall or vertical beam downstairs that matches with that wall.

- if the wall does not seem very solid, or some/most of the studs are actually not firm with the horizontal pieces, it probably is not load bearing, as the weight would make the ends touch.

These may not always be true but from what I've seen they often are. Here's a pic of what I mean for #1. The red would be a load bearing wall Did not draw the studs, but sometimes it's actually just a beam.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this a load bearing wall?-loadbearing-wall.jpg  
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #5

The double joists below scream bearing but the ceiling joists above say none bearing. Could you take: 1. pic of the attic above wall from 6-8' away; 2. pic of floor joists from same, in line with them? But the solid header at the opening.... Thanks.
Be safe, Gary
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote