Is It Load Bearing Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is it Load Bearing Wall

Hi I would like to know with a image if this is Load Bearing Wall.

Wall is cross the joits and it is prob 3 feet long wall with 1 stud each at a feet long.

Thanks
Pareen
Attached Thumbnails
Is it Load Bearing Wall-imag0091.jpg  

Advertisement

pareen7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

Is it Load Bearing Wall

The "joists" look like trusses, based on the gang nailing plates. If they are trusses, the wall is likely not load bearing. You will need to go upstairs and determine if they are trusses. Cannot tell from the photo if the beam above the wall is part of a truss, you will need to determine that also. If you are not comfortable telling a joist from a truss, you will need to bring in a contractor, architect or engineer who is.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #3

Is it Load Bearing Wall

Yes they are trusses ....

Truss Example as per understanding is below design = ----------------
_____
/\|/\|/\
-------

This is How exactly my "Joists" look like. The Beam above wall is part of Truss too.

Means it is exactly built like a Truss and then little part of truss is covered with plywood above the wall (roughly about 3-4 feet).

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Is it Load Bearing Wall-rrtrussbridgesideview.jpg  
Old 04-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is it Load Bearing Wall

I would agree with the above, but I see what looks like a double beam, running in the same direction as the trusses??????????. Not sure what that might be. And it is a plumbing wall.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #5

Is it Load Bearing Wall

Thanks Bill,

Yes they all run in same direction. suppose to be perpendicular but they are running parallel.

Yes it is plumbing wall as it has cold/hot water running with vent and sewer. Which i would like to love on left of this wall with help of plumber.

Most people did told me this is not load bearing as load bearing wall has more studs (2-3 attached to each other and at lesser distances )and runs end to end of the wall.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:40 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is it Load Bearing Wall

Makes no sense from a structural standpoint, but what is the double looking beam?? What is under the wall, in the basement or under the floor, double joists, support??
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #7

Is it Load Bearing Wall

Truss under the floor as well.

Double looking beam is Truss tooo Just 3 ft. o truss is covered with Playwood.

There is wall under this wall in basement but that's bedroom wall with a bathroom.

Actual basement's load bearing wall is about 10 ft behind this existing wall and looks like (Attached Pic below). And my doubt if there will be 2 load bearing walls with in 10 ft distance

and there is any correlation between basement load bearing wall is 10 ft away and this wall is 10 ft away on 1st level

Thanks Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Is it Load Bearing Wall-doublebeam_truss_left_pic.jpg   Is it Load Bearing Wall-doublebeam_truss_right_pic.jpg   Is it Load Bearing Wall-load_bearing_wall.jpg  

Advertisement