Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

load bearing wall

First off excuse the hand drawn floor plan.(see attachment) The arrow shows the direction of the ceiling joist, the red lines is a lbw it sits on the beam in the basement and the ceiling joists overlaps that wall and it sit center of the house and runs the length of the house. the yellow walls are the concern , I want to take most of them out. The wall that runs the same direction as the CJ I know I can take that down its the wall facing the LBW, it run perindircular to the CJ and the CJ's overlap that wall also. Nothing underneath. It's a ranch style home about 50 x24. Your help would be appreciate. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
load bearing wall-1367068111441.jpg  

donm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 18

load bearing wall

A few photos would help. If the ceiling joists are designed to run from outer wall to the load bearing wall at the center, then it is likely that the wall in question is not load bearing. To determine if the joists in the area of the house where the yellow wall is are sized for half span, you need to measure the size of the joists, and determine what type of wood they are. Then you can compute the allowable span, or look it up in tables.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #3

load bearing wall

Pictures not to good. They look like 2x6 pine both CJ overlap both walls but the yellow is only 11' long and CJ's are not being supported in the living or the other bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails
load bearing wall-2013-04-27-10.29.56.jpg   load bearing wall-2013-04-27-10.30.55.jpg  
Old 04-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #4

load bearing wall

(sorry, posted at the same time ^)

Does you roof system look similar to this? How old is your home?

load bearing wall-image-3517568951.jpg

Ensure that there has been no splicing or lap joints of the ceiling joist over the yellow wall which runs parallel to the red wall. If you could snap a picture of your roof system in the attic.

I'm just guessing but is the longest span to the lbw about 16'? Knowing the dimensions of the roofing components would be helpful.

Last edited by MJ Force; 04-27-2013 at 10:26 AM.
MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #5

load bearing wall

About 12' to the red wall. The house is 24' x 50' 1959 standard suburban ranch and the roof looks like that.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #6

load bearing wall

MJ, like I said, the roofing system is design like your picture but my only concern is the CJ overlap the yellow wall also I don't know if you can tell in the pictures but the CJ's are bolted together. Thanks for your assistance.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 10

load bearing wall

the big open room with the arrow in the diagram has the ceiling joists going over to the red line(wall) the full distance across that space?? does that same type of ceiling joist framing span apply for the rest of the house including where you show the yellow line, maybe the joists span over the yellow line wall to land on the red line wall or they could have framed the ceiling joists to break on the yellow line wall. you will only know from looking in the attic and tracing each joist from outer exterior wall (bearing) inward toward the open rooms and find the breaks for every joist where they cross the load bearing walls.

if you see similar ceiling framing design in the rest of the house as you see in the big open room then most likely the yellow line wall is not load bearing but if they change up the ceiling framing design where the yellow line wall comes into play then it could be a load bearing wall. whatever is under the yellow wall in the basement shows a lot as well, is there a beam or girder under that yellow wall or is it just open span floor joists bearing over to the LVL with the yellow wall sitting somewhere in between?

Last edited by hand drive; 04-28-2013 at 09:32 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #8

load bearing wall

The ceiling joist do not change all the way across, no change, that's why I'm leaning towards it's not a bearing wall but just not 100% sure. The yellow wall is 11' long and my plan was to remove four feet. Thanks for the assistance.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 10

load bearing wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by donm12 View Post
The ceiling joist do not change all the way across, no change, that's why I'm leaning towards it's not a bearing wall but just not 100% sure. The yellow wall is 11' long and my plan was to remove four feet. Thanks for the assistance.

are you making the 4' opening full height to the ceiling or can you put a header in the 4' opening? if using a header it will not matter if the wall is load bearing because your header will hold the ceiling load once built. or are you taking out four feet from the corner of the yellow wall? a header may not work in that case...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #10

load bearing wall

Do not want to do a header, nothing underneath in the basement under yellow wall. One other thing that makes me think its not a LBW is because the end studs are sitting between the ceiling joist.

Last edited by donm12; 04-28-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 14

load bearing wall

do you have a double top plate on your wall. do you have storage in your attic, if so how much?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #12

load bearing wall

No double plate, nothing in attic.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #13

load bearing wall

the wall that is supporting your ceiling joist, does it have a double top plate?

Old 04-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #14

load bearing wall

I never checked the red wall I just assume it was a bearing wall since it sat in the center of the house and ran the length of it and it sat over the beam in the basement
Old 04-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #15

load bearing wall

sorry, I misread your post #10