Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2008, 08:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

is this a load bearing wall?

Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me determine if this is a load bearing wall, basically what i'm doing is makign 2 small rooms into one larger room in my townhome, i do plan on putting the wall at some point back when i sell.

I'm on the second floor here and right above me is the roof (flat), I cut out pieces of the ceiling and took a couple pics of that here in my flick account.. any help would be greatly appreciated.. but basically what i hope to do is take out the middle 2x4's and then put additional 2x4's on the end to help support the header which i don't plan on removing.. thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nandste...7603981569825/

nando510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
Do it right.

im not a licensed contractor but that has all the signs of a load bearing wall in my book.

SubSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
MA licensed remodeler

I am a contractor, and although it is hard to tell based on those pictures (sorry), it does appear to be load bearing.

Don't remove anything until you have someone qualified check it out. Unless, of course, you want to be sued by your fellow tenants if things go horribly wrong.
iremod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #4

okay thanks guys i'll have someone check it out. so any licensed contractor should be okay to chek it out? do they normally charge to give me an estimate and tell me if it can be done?
nando510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:55 PM   #5

Make sure you find someone with experience in doing this sort of project. A call to your township and consulting a structural engineer might not be a bad idea. You will need a permit to do this, or at least should.

Dont be surprised if it is necessary to open up some areas on the first floor to check out what is below you and in the basement, if there is one, to determine how the structure load will be carried.
mgarfield is offline   Reply With Quote