Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #1

Share |

Load Bearing Wall

Hi guys! I'm new to posting but have looked over the site for a while. I've got a question concerning an interior wall. I've done alot of searching on the topic and have found alot. Just looking for another opinion. A friend of mine who is a GC told me it isn't load bearing. However, I have a relative who is an engineer who will check it out next week to be sure. Its a raised ranch with a truss roof. He called it a howe style, or M-Truss. The wall in question seems to be the most common, separating the kitchen and living room. The wall has a double top plate and some tripled up 2x4's in the wall. The wall sits about 3 feet off the middle of the truss span. I've included pictures. Thanks in advance! - Paul

Paul0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
Mod

Load Bearing Wall

I vote no, if it was the opening wouldn’t have a box header like that.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

Load Bearing Wall

In the wall there already is an opening without a sufficient header and what looks like a large chunk taken out of the top plate, so if something were to settle you could most likely already be able to see it in the opening along the top at ceiling height. There is also a ganged up section of wall studs to the right of the pic, that sometimes means something heavy is above them...
hand drive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #4

Load Bearing Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
In the wall there already is an opening without a sufficient header and what looks like a large chunk taken out of the top plate, so if something were to settle you could most likely already be able to see it in the opening along the top at ceiling height. There is also a ganged up section of wall studs to the right of the pic, that sometimes means something heavy is above them...
Yea thats what I'm nervous about. The GC didn't think much of it. Although he did say that over time a wall can become somewhat bearing as things settle
Old 07-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #5

Load Bearing Wall

Anyone else got any input ?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #6

Load Bearing Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
Ditto, top plate already bowed
21boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #7

Load Bearing Wall

I have the exact same situation, I am interested to know your outcome. Thanks

Mtpson is offline   Reply With Quote