Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Load Bearing Wall???

Guys,

I have a tri-level house built in 1963. it's a 2 story house with 2 levels off to one side. I want to remove a wall downstairs but the trust between the 2 floors run perpendicular to the wall. Also with the wall removed the span would be 24 feet. However, there is 1 house on my block with the same floor plan and his house doesn't have the wall i want to remove out of my house. So how can i tell if this wall is truly a load bearing wall? or do i need to assume it is and sistered 2-2x10 where the wall is? or something like that. it will look stupid but that's better then my house falling.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by carloa; 11-26-2007 at 11:27 PM.
carloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
Woodworker and Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Load Bearing Wall???

The way I see your drawing the blue beams rest their load on that wall. With a 24' span you're looking at 3-4 lvls not just 2x10s. You need to get a good contractor to look at this. They will be able to tell you more options. But you should be able to set the new beam into the ceiling without it prodruding into the room. Also just because the home down the street looks like the same floor plan it may not have been frammed the same way to allow the open spaces.

Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote