Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #1

Share |

Load Bearing Wall

Hey gang. My Super Bowl pregame consists of framing in a doorway for a basement bathroom in a load bearing wall. I KNOW, no one will tell be that I am doing everything correctly. I am just looking for some insight, perhaps someone had done this before.

My first question, in the pics you will see my footers are above ground. Would you think that they are cement blocks sitting on in ground footers? That they at least go down to the bottom of the poured floor?

My plan is to remove the two vertical 2x4s (I have no posts, just 2x4s supporting a staggered 2 2x4 beam), put in a 4x6 header with treated 4x4 posts on each side of the doorway 34" apart and a 2x4 jack post at the other end of the 4x6, and cut the raised footer flush with the floor. The 4x4 posts will be flush with the floor and the raised footer will be cut to the outside edge of each 4x4.

In researching I found that a 4x6 could span further than 34" (I think 48") with a one story above, 14' joists. More to the point, a doorway 6 feet down the line is supporting two joists on a 2-2x4 header. I think I am overkilling it so I can sleep more soundly.

Any input?

B
Attached Thumbnails
Load Bearing Wall-wall1.jpg   Load Bearing Wall-wall2.jpg  

Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #2

Load Bearing Wall

I don't think anyone can say why you have a wall on blocks, why there is not treated lumber against the blocks, and what is below the blocks. I think you'll have to dig in there w/ bits to see WTH is below. I also do not know why a load bearing wall is sitting on empty cement blocks. I don't think that is an appropriate way to use them, as they'd be subject to failure as used, IMO. If the header 6' down the road is working, put in a heavier one, like you suggest. Overkill never hurts. For your new studs on the concrete, I'd sure put an EPDM gasket between them, to stop wicking.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #3

Load Bearing Wall

I was just wondering if this was a practice of a certain era (1957) or region (Minneapolis). The house is solidly built so I don't have any qualms about half assed work being done. Was it built this way where water could be a potential problem (not in my house)?

B
Old 02-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Load Bearing Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster
I was just wondering if this was a practice of a certain era (1957) or region (Minneapolis). The house is solidly built so I don't have any qualms about half assed work being done. Was it built this way where water could be a potential problem (not in my house)?

B
Who knows. No one can tell you this. So don't go cutting and ripping anything out until you find out by having someone look at it..
Old 02-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #5

Load Bearing Wall

Well that was relatively painless. The "raised footers/cement blocks" continued down below the top of the cement floor. I would guess, and I have been wrong guessing with this house, that they are 4"x8"x16" cement blocks sitting on the center footers when the floor was poured. I now believe this area is stronger with 4x4 posts holding up the header than the 2x4 that were there before.

On to The Game. C'mon...can both teams lose?

B