Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Load bearing wall

How can u tell if the wall is low (load) bearing or not.

Last edited by oh'mike; 01-07-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
Gardec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 548
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Load bearing wall

What is "low bearing"?

I am not familiar with that term.

Andy.

AndyGump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 548
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Load bearing wall

Oh sorry, I think you mean "load bearing".

There are many different ways to tell, perhaps the best way is to see if any of the ceiling joist break over the wall in question.

Andy.
AndyGump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

Load bearing wall

Tell us more about this wall and where it is in the house---
Old 01-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #5

Load bearing wall

I have a bonus room, bed room and bath room that run parallel to each other on the right side of house . I want to open the wall between bonus room and bed room. The move my bathroom wall over three feet and ad a walk in closet.
Gardec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

Load bearing wall

Is the bonus room part of an open attic space? Most often that would be a load bearing wall---but not all the time---Photos will help---also---if you have a skilled carpenter friend (a framer who has built houses) have his over to look---

You really need to get a knowledgeable person to look at the structure---Mike---
Old 01-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,082

Load bearing wall

This is a very common question on this forum, i.e. how do I know if a wall is load bearing. Definition of a load bearing wall is any wall that carries more than its own weight. You need to check the top of the wall to see if there is any load coming down onto the wall from above. This could come from floor joists, another wall above, or attic framing members. In some cases, you need to take off the drywall to see what is going on, in other cases you can see from above. In rare cases, you will have accurate framing plans and can tell from them.

You may need to hire a professional, possibly a carpenter, an engineer, or perhaps an architect, as it can sometimes be very difficult to determine if a wall carries load. The worst possible technique is to remove the wall first, then observe if the house falls down. I recommend against that method. Seriously, relocation, removal or alteration of a load bearing wall is an advanced DIY project, and can result in serious injury or death. It should only be done by an experienced individual, with a permit, and you need to make sure you provide adequate temporary support to the house framing during the project.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #8

Load bearing wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
This is a very common question on this forum, i.e. how do I know if a wall is load bearing. Definition of a load bearing wall is any wall that carries more than its own weight. You need to check the top of the wall to see if there is any load coming down onto the wall from above. This could come from floor joists, another wall above, or attic framing members. In some cases, you need to take off the drywall to see what is going on, in other cases you can see from above. In rare cases, you will have accurate framing plans and can tell from them.

You may need to hire a professional, possibly a carpenter, an engineer, or perhaps an architect, as it can sometimes be very difficult to determine if a wall carries load. The worst possible technique is to remove the wall first, then observe if the house falls down. I recommend against that method. Seriously, relocation, removal or alteration of a load bearing wall is an advanced DIY project, and can result in serious injury or death. It should only be done by an experienced individual, with a permit, and you need to make sure you provide adequate temporary support to the house framing during the project.
Very well said.

It is fairly easy to tell what walls are load bearing, if you know what to look for. If you don't know how to tell, you aren't ready to move one.

For example:

In a bungalow, the ceiling joists may be two pieces (spanning 20' lets say), overlapping in the middle about 6" or so. They will be overlapping right smack dab onto your load bearing wall. The load bearing wall should have point loads all the way to the basement, such as a metal I-beam, and support posts.

Moving a wall such as this could be a huge ordeal. I feel it is too much for a DIYer. I would recommend at least talking to an archy or engineer before going ahead with this project. And pull permits so the inspector can look over and OK the structure.

This whole post is my opinion, and only that.

Peace.

Beanfacekilla is offline   Reply With Quote