Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #1

Share |

Load bearing for a recording ISO room

Hello all,

I have a big open space in my basement, which has a concrete slab for a floor. I intend to build a room in this space. None of the walls or ceiling of my new room will touch any of the structure that is my house (ecept the floor). I was planning on constructing 2 by 4 walls (bottom plate pressure treated lumber, two top plates, studs 16" oc). I was thinking about using 2 by 4's as the ceiling joists. My concern is whether or not 2 by 4 ceiling joists will be able to handle the weight of 2 layers of 5/8s drywall pulling down or not? Will the 2 by 4 walls have any issue either? I've spent many hours trying to find a similar scenario but have come up empty handed.

Someone set me straight please!

EyeVeeDrip

Forgot the room dimensions

75"w by 104"l by 85"h

eyeveedrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
liscenced electrician

id use 2x6's.

if this is for recording, there is a technique you can use for your walls. Use 2x6 on your top and bottom plates and frame with 2x4's. Line up the outside of the 2x4 to one side of the 2x6 and move the next 2x4 to the other side of the 2x6. Then that leaves space inside your walls, that you can interweave insulation into. Doesn't transfer sound that way.

jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #3

Ive seen that technique before. It's pretty cool.

So to rephrase what you said, 2x4 for the walls would be good, but you'd encourage me to use 2x6 for the ceiling joists, correct? I can certainly do that, I'll just need to reduce my height by 2".
eyeveedrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
liscenced electrician

you can get away with 2x4 if you really want. 75'' isnt very far. i wouldnt use 2 layers of sheetrock, though. use a layer of soundboard and cover with sheetrock. its like crappy particleboard. it not dense on purpose though, to not transfer sound
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #5

There are also some quiet GWB products that are used primarily in hotels and multi-unit buildings that have a lower sound transmission designed into them.

http://www.quietrock.com/quietrock-drywall.html
http://products.construction.com/Sea.../sound%20proof

There are also a number of aftermarket products that you can apply to your walls to limit sound transmission and reflectance - foam panels, natural fiber panels etc
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote