DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Load bearing? (With pic)

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  PoleCat 
#1 ·
Hello,

I posted a question last week about this but didn't get any responses probably due to my long winded post. A picture is worth a thousand words, right?

What you see is a 3 - 2x10 beam supported by a 3 - 2x6 column. Not in the picture is the other side of beam which is resting on foundation. The clear span beam is 10.5'. The beam supports a total of 12' joists, foundation supports the other 12'. That wall is 2x4, including the double top plate and single bottom plate, with a piece of plywood nailed to other side.

Beam is only supporting floor above, nothing else.

What do you all think?

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What do you all think?
I think I like Skittles. You didn't ask a specific question, so we're not going to be able to help you unless you clarify.

More importantly, no one can answer a "is this load bearing" question using a picture on the internet. If you are considering modifying something the may be load-bearing, you need to obtain the services of a structural engineer.

#5 ·
I guess that the wall is not load bearing. Reason being the beam right above it & and visible gaps between the top of the studs and the plate. Let me know if I guessed right.

#7 ·
Polecat,

I had a local contractor come in thinking the same thing. When I grab the permit i'll have the building inspector look at it as well for some more confirmation. I live in rural Alaska so structural engineers are not easy to come by. I'll let you know what the inspector says.

Thanks

#14 ·
Polecat,

I had a local contractor come in thinking the same thing. When I grab the permit i'll have the building inspector look at it as well for some more confirmation. I live in rural Alaska so structural engineers are not easy to come by. I'll let you know what the inspector says.

Thanks
Rural Alaska!?! I would think an inspector would be hard to find too.:laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.