Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #1

Share |

Load bearing or not?

Hey everyone, was hoping someone might be able to guide me in the right direction.

I'm hoping to take down a inner wall and drop bulk head - opening up my kitchen to my living room.
If I'm reading the plans right the aside from 1 major support column (outlined in solid black) the wall and drop bulk heads are non supporting wall components and can come down.

The issue I have is when I started to pull drywall in places it looks as though some areas may indicate load bearing properties.

Obviously I want to be 100% sure before pulling anything down. I hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

Onto the pics

PLANS

Wall in question small bulkhead

Larger bulkhead

Large bulkhead support - looks like a wooden IBeam? maybe load bearing even though the plans say no?

I can provide more pics if needed.

TheJuggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Load bearing or not?

first off you need to show the full floor plan not the small section you posted. by doing this we can get a better idea of the size of the house and possibly figure out which way the floor joists are running..

can you see the floor joists for that floor from the basement

woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

Load bearing or not?

that is certainly a header with a double or triple jack and looks to carry the ceiling or upper floor loads where they cross the opening...

the plans show it as a ( triple 2x8 SP dropped)

Last edited by hand drive; 09-19-2012 at 09:49 PM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #4

Load bearing or not?

According to what I see by the plans my guess is it may be a load bearing wall. Best to have someone on site to look at it.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Load bearing or not?

Its load bearing. Those are structural headers and the plans indicate/identify the areas as load bearing.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #6

Load bearing or not?

is there a second floor to your home? It appears the plan indicates floor joists running perpendicular to the wall openings which if true would make it a load bearing wall

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #7

Load bearing or not?

yes second floor above. floor joists run perpendicular to the wall. 100% sure now its a load bearing wall. is there a way I could run a ibeam all the way across and take the wall down?
TheJuggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #8

Load bearing or not?

yes. I would recommend hiring a professional engineer to design a beam to support the 2nd floor so that you can remove the wall. Typically building officials want a drawing prepared by an engineer or architect for such restructuring of a dwelling.

You could try the beam design services of your local lumber yard but this would limit you to only engineered wood products such as LVL's, parallams or glulam beams. You beam span and loads (cannot determine from your post) may require a steel beam.

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote